Comments on Catalina 380?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 5, 2005
- - Sydney, Australia 1989 Cat 30 #5628
I am looking at possibly 'moving upwards' to a 38ft boat. I have been looking at a 1997 Cat 380. The aft cabin is impressive! I would like to hear from users/owners of 380's about their experiences and likes/dislikes. The following queries came to my mind: 1) there seems to be very little headroom in some sections over the bed in the aft cabin, my feeling is this doesn't matter much in practice - is that so??? 2) due to the aft cabin size, there seems to be very little cockpit locker space - how does that work out in day-to-day use? 3) the boat will be used in the future for extensive sailing holidays - does the boat stack up in that department? Is there sufficient storage? 4) the fixed cockpit table seems a disadvantage to me: you can't easily move from one winch to the other and single-handed gybing seems almost impssible (I know stand in front of the wheel and can gybe quite easily in most conditions). 5)most importantly: how does she sail in heavy wheather? Are there specific issues that I should look for with a 10 year old Cat 380? Thanks for any input!

W

Waffle

I almost got one, 1999

1) You have to get a center cockpit boat for headroom in the aft cabin. 2) That is the same problem with many boat. I think it effect live aboards and lond distance cruisers more. 3) The draft is a problem in many area. The 1997 draws around 5'-8". 4) I don't like the fixed table. You can remove it and fill the holes. 5)The sail sail good. She is NOT a blue water boat but she can handle rough seas. I passed on the boat I was looking at because of a crack in the keel stub. I think the boat was run around and then bumped by powerboats or it was dropped on the hard from the lift. Catalina is a GREAT boat but you get what you pay for. There is a reason an IP cost twice as much!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
These folks might be of assistance

http://www.catalina380.org/

Apr 10, 2006
- - St. Petersburg, Fl
Baby stay

I read somewhere the baby stays were pulling out a little. Check the owners reviews on this site?

Sep 5, 2005
- - Sydney, Australia 1989 Cat 30 #5628
Thanks Stu

for the related link. I went through the (extensive) archives of the discussion group and found answers to most of my queries and concerns. In fact, the only one left, which is not necessarily specific for the C380, is the question why a relatively large boat has a deck-stepped mast - I have always been told that a deck stepped mast is unsuitable for larger (say >30 0r 32 ft)boats, as you may loose your mast in heavy wheather (but if you do, at least you probably don't have a big hole in your coach roof). Apart from some Beneteaus I wouldn't know af any larger boat which has a deck stepped mast. Any ideas on that one? It can hardly be that you gain more room inside: the compression post takes up almost as much space.

W

Waffle

One of the reason I got the

Catalina 36 BUT> Lots of blue water big boats have Deck Stepped Mast. My bosses Hanse Christian 42 square stern. That boat can take me weather than me.

T

Tom S

Deck Stepped Masts on boats above 30 ft

I think the comment about Deck Stepped Masts not being proper for Big Boats is misinformed. Its not whether they are deck stepped or not, it depends more how it is engineered and built. For an offshore boat there is an argument that if your boat ever is rolled or demasted there is a chance that part of your mast is left on your boat to rigg some sort of a sail on the stump thats left. There is also an argument though that a keel stepped mast has a hole already in your boat and a roll over with create an even larger hole in your boat (Reference some boats from the 1998 Sydney - Hobart race Here is a good write up from a very knowledgable sailor on the pro's and cons's http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying-boat/3393-deck-stepped-mast-always-bad.html Looks like the Cheoy Lee 44 is deck stepped and they are generally viewed as offshore boats. Hallberg-Rassy are well known well regarded offshore boats and I think they are deck stepped. I am sure there are many more. Maybe not what one would consider "offshore bluewater" boats but some larger Jenneaus and Hunters have deckstepped masts Just as an FYI I do have a Keel Stepped Mast but I wouldn't have a problem with a well engineered deck stepped boat -- Just depends on how well implemented. Obviously losing a stay with a deck stepped boat will have a higher chance of losing the rig than if it was keel stepped.

J

Jeff

Blue water

To 1st responder, Catalina says it's an ocean going boat. I think this specific topic can better be debated not as whether it can cross blue water weather and seas, but how much weather and seas. Any boat can sucumb to the ocean. The question is to what degree do we subject certain boats. I would take a 380 to Hawaii. Unless there was predicted abnormally foul weather. In which case I wouldn't take any boat. If I were caught in unpredicted foul weather, I would be equally afeared yet steadfast on any vessel. The question is not whether or not something will break, it's whether or not you are prepared to handle the breakage.

W

Waffle

RE: Blue water

Na, there is a difference between a Hans Christian and a Catalina. If I am out making a crossing it is not going to be in a Catalina or a Hunter unless it is short enough for the coast guard to save me. Like Tom S stated, "it depends more how it is engineered and built". For example look at how the rudder is attached to the boat for a good example of a blue water boat. Spade rudder on a blue water boat, na, I don't thinks so! I am not saying people don't do it. Hunter had a write up of one of their customers sailing to Hawaii that lost a rudder. They made it by making a bridle. The C380 is a good strong boat but it is not a blue water boat and Catalina doesn't claim it is.

T

Tom S

Nothing wrong with a Spade Rudder

That is unless you hit a container or a whale ;). I guess it all depends on how bullet proof you want to make your boat. Its very easy to go overboard the other way and design a boat to take a collision with an iceberg. Even the "Titanic" the Queen of the Fleet was "thought" to be designed to take anything. Even the most "bluewater boat" would sink if holed by a container (yes I know thats a one in a million chance) I basically agree with Waffle but its too easy to pick one or two certain "designs" of a sailboat and then quickly dismiss the boat as not being "blue water". There are many many great boats with a Spade Rudder I wouldn't hesitate to take across the ocean. One of the first with a seperate Spade Rudder (the Cal 40) has seen many sea miles and not generally suffered from failures, also many of the around the world race boats have spade rudders. Even if you had a spade rudder go, you could have an emergency rudder or windvane as a backup if you were that concerned If you are expecting to run aground or mis-navigate reefs then I agree a Full keel and attached rudder will keep you afloat better, but this is not 1870. Bad luck can happen to anyboat and good seamanship can keep an average boat going far longer than bad seamanship can keep a bluewater boat afloat. JMHO

W

Waffle

Tom S, I like this line

That is unless you hit a container or a whale . The 100% true but there is another issue. Sometimes they just fall off. I know maintenance, maintenance, maintenance but sometimes it just happens. Did you every see the cable attached the the spade rudder in your Catalina: that is that for?

J

Jeff

Sorry

Sorry, the 380 is IN FACT rated as an ocean going vessel. It is IMCI rated "A" classification, which denotes construction specifications designed to withstand a force 8 (40knot) wind and at LEAST 15 foot seas. Hans schmans, Catalina Schmatalina. It's a boat. handle it. If it breaks, fix it. If there is weather that will break boats, stay in the harbor. The hans may be built better, but it will break too. Be prepared for unpredicted events.

W

Waffle

Jeff thanks for the update

I just have one guestion, does the wind ever get to speeds over 40knot and do waves ever exceed 15 foot in blue water. Well, I guss they don't then. Good job setting us straight.

J

jeff

You're welcome

You're welcome. These are the vessel's MINIMUM specifications. Thousands have sailed big Catalinas all over the globe, including "blue water". One or two Hunters lose their rudders and you panic. If you actually read the comments, you'll see that I don't sail in bad weather if avoidable, and neither would my vessel, regardless of her nature. Weather cycles can be predicted. Weather anomolies can be avoided or will have to be dealt with if unavoidable. I'm guessing you've never sailed to Hawaii, and never will.

W

Waffle

jeff how do you aviod bad weather on the way to

Hawaii. Just pull over at the first Island you find and wait it out? Show me an add where Catalina claims the 380 is a Blue water boat or a Sailing article that does and you win your point. Are you going to tell me that a Catalina is build as strong as a Hans Christian or even Island Packet? Or are you saying that it is strong enough if you sail in fair weather. I agree Catalina is a strong coastal cruiser. That is why I got one, but it is NOT a blue water boat. Catalina never claimed it was. No I'll never sail to Hawaii but I have sailed up the east coast from FLA to NJ outside in Hans Christian Christina 43. That was one ruff ride 200 miles off of Cape Fear we ran into a Northern Storm and got pounded, thunder storms ever night. We hit one huge thunder storm that ripped the bimmi and attaching poles off the boat. We should have taken it down, oh well live and learn. I learn the boat could take more than me that trip.

J

Jeff

Island hopping to Hawaii

Am I the only one who knows where all the islands are on the way to Hawaii? Please, am not debating which boats are better built. The 380 and some other cats are rated "A" classification. That's as high as the IMCA rating system goes. Yes, fair weather, in ANY boat. Fair weather may = rough weather at sea. IE: big seas and some good wind. Maybe we should get out the specification tables for weather. You sail with an extended forecast. It takes(about)18 days to get to Hilo Bay, running 24-7 4 man crew at avg 7 knots, maintained with aux during the low points, which there are very few. Many different types of boats can do it, I've read of a skipper in a Capri 18 that did it and I know for fact that someone did it in a PS Dana 24 out of Dana Point. In fact, he went all the way to Japan. These are the extremes obviously however it proves my original point: I would take a 380 to Hawaii. Unless there was predicted abnormally foul weather. In which case I wouldn't take any boat. If I were caught in unpredicted foul weather, I would be equally afeared yet steadfast on any vessel. The question is not whether or not something will break, it's whether or not you are prepared to handle the breakage.

W

Waffle

RE:Mast step detail

I feel more comfortable with a keel stepped mast too. Everything is a trade off. I could see where a clean break is better and a damaged deck.

W

Waffle

RE:Island hopping to Hawaii

I would agree that it has a "ocean" , "A" classification rating but it NOT what the sailing community calls a Blue Water Boat!

W

Waffle

Well, on the good side

they survived... I looked and been on all kinds of boats and I was an Engineer for a US Naval shipyard. Not all boats are build the same. Catalina is a great coastal crusier! Not a Blue Water Boat. Blue water boats are in different class and you know it! You can try and prdict the weather to you blue in the face. Someday the sea will do it's best to claim you, your boat and all of its crew. I would rather be on a blue water boat when that day comes. I have been on a boat when the caption would not take my advice and go inside. What a strom we hit. We had the turn the boat and run 100 miles back to port with our tail between our legs. That gooddness we were on a Blue Water boat. The bathroom was all the way forward. I was dropping 10 feet when we crash down a wave. Ouch! Not pretty...

Status
Not open for further replies.