Comments on 1984 Catalina 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 Big Rapids, MI
I am heavily contemplating the purchase of a 1984 Catalina 22 as a first boat and would like some insight into known issues or details/features that might be associated with the 1984 Catalina 22 or any other information that you would like to share. Also, does anyone know the trailering weight of a Catalina 22. I would like to pull it with a Subaru Forester (2400# max towing capacity) and realize that the boat itself is about 2600#. Any experience out there with towing the boat with a somewhat underrated vehicle?

Apr 25, 2011
Catalina 22 Portland
I doubt towing with the Forester is a good idea. Getting it moving on the level might be ok, but stopping would be difficult. Better to have more towing capacity than just enough (or too little) and stopping power goes double.

Add in weight of outboard, ~ 75 - 100 lbs, with fuel, gear, etc. and you can see it will easily exceed what your Forester is rated for, oh, just the boat does that. :)

Really, step up to a proper tow vehicle, especially if you plan to tow it and not leave it in the water. I leave mine in the water for the season and borrow a friend and his truck to haul it at beginning and end of season. Only costs me lunch and beers afterward and we'd do that anyway. :)

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
I had a '84 model for 7 years and loved it. Only sold it when I bought an '84 model C27. You should have a more stout mast than the older boats, a definite plus. Only good things to say, no negatives. Trailering would be scary with the Forester, too much of a load on the engine and way too little mass to stop that big boat. Honestly, look for somewhere you can dry sail, will solve a lot of problems. Setting up the mast is doable but a real pain when you really want to sail. Having it rigged up on a trailer means you just back it in and go, your significant other will thank you, or complain less.

Mar 19, 2011
Catalina C25 Eagle Mountain Lake
The C22 will make an excellent first boat. They sail easy, handle well, and have an almost cult like following...you'll easily find folks to race, hang out, sail, raft up...and parts are everywhere...and cheap for a sailboat. You'll love your C22.

Swing keel parts are a big concern. Make sure the cable, winch, bolt, etc are all in good shape. Catalina recommends annual inspections, more frequent in salt water. It's not expensive or hard to replace everything....and it won't be hard to find C22 buddies to help you out.

You will need a new tow vehicle. The Subaru may get it moving, but controlling it is a whole other issue. You need to be able to stabilize it under way (crosswinds and sway) and most importantly, be able to stop it. With your tow vehicle, it's simply a mass issue.

Maybe consider a C18?

Jun 15, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 Big Rapids, MI
Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. I have decided that there is NO way to tow this boat with the Forester and am considering having it towed and keeping it in the water until I can find a suitable vehicle. Your points are very well taken.

I look forward to the Catalina 22 and appreciate the support that forums like this provide. Thanks again to all of you for your comments.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
DeanLL said:
Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. I have decided that there is NO way to tow this boat with the Forester and am considering having it towed and keeping it in the water until I can find a suitable vehicle. Your points are very well taken.

I look forward to the Catalina 22 and appreciate the support that forums like this provide. Thanks again to all of you for your comments.
If you're willing to give up the sleeping accommodations, the catalina capri 16.5 is trailerable with your forester and fun to sail.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
We've owned a C 22, C 25 & now a C 30, & are all good boats, but the c 22 is really designed as a daysailor, occasional overnighter. Head the warnings about getting a real tow vehicle, such as at least an F 150 pickup, etc. The C 22 as noted above needs thorough inspection of the swing keel pinion, winch & cable (prone to corrosion) & check the fiberglass tube that the cable runs through for leaks. The keel is cast iron - prone to rusting, & copper bottom paint exhasterbates the corrosion in salt water. Covering it with epoxy based paint helps. My C 25 had a nasty, hidden crack in the base of the swing keel fiberglass trunk from a hard grounding. Expensive repair job. Recommend installing a boom vang to control the boom lifting - not standard gear. Electrical connections for lights tend to corrode badly. Beware of CDI roller furlings typically installed - never had one that worked right. But the boat is a stout lil' sailing design, cheap to buy, & has fiercely loyal owners for a reason. Enjoy it, & when U need more headroom, move up to a bigger one like we all have. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.