Colorado sailing

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Visiting friends in Denver in July, hopefully it will be spring then. Staying near St. Mary's Glacier, west of Denver,any sailing lakes nearby?

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
You didnt say so Im guessing you are not bringing the sailboat and this would be more sailing tourism. You are already up in the mountains at St Mary Glacier so I would head west..

Dillon reservoir has lots of sailing. Dillon has a marina and also there is a marina in Frisco. Dillon marina is a nice place to hang out, get a bite to eat/ drink. Great spot on the planet near Keystone and Breckenridge ski areas.. The other place I think worth driving to is Lake Granby/ Shadow mountain/ Grand lake. Lake Granby has lots of sailing and Grand lake in the same area is a nice little tourist spot. Lake Granby/ Shadow mountain/ Grand lake are on the back side of Rocky Mountain National Park.. Nice drive through Winger Park ski area getting there. All very scenic mountain lakes.

Denver lakes.. Chatsfield and Cherry Creek have organized sailboat racing during the week if you are looking to crew. Denver lakes are big ponds and super crowded on the weekends.. way less scenic than the mountain lakes.

Any of those lake organized sailing likely have web sites if you were looking to crew. (google)..

Jul 13, 2010
Thanks Walt. Been looking at various marina websites, when I open Dillon, a picture of a Catalina 22 flashes up, then disappears. When you look at boat rentals there, no sailboat options on the list. I looked sailing school info, looks like you can rent there only after taking lessons. I plan to call and talk to them about that. If you know if anyplace other that you know had rentals, would appreciate info.

Jul 13, 2010
Just found Frisco marina,looks like a possibility there.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Sorry I cant be of more help for the rental.. but vaguely remember you could rent both Catalina 18 and 22's at Frisco and if possible.. that would be a great choice. Lots of sailboats on Dillon and just a beautiful place. You probably have heard about the possibility of seriously gusty wind and lightning in the afternoon and July is when that weather can happen.. but more likely great sailing and a great day if you pick the day and time. I think there are also some sort of rentals on both Chatsfield and Cherry Creek in Denver but am not at all sure. This picture was taken five years ago at Cherry Creek and I think these Capri 14.2 were for rent but have no idea now. There was some sort of school/ rental that had a fleet of J22 at both the Denver lakes mentioned but it may have been more of a season rental vs by the hour rental. Dont know any details and that could be wrong but maybe a worthwhile lead..

cc11.jpg

Last edited:

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
I learned to sail on Lake Dillon. It's a gorgeous place to sail but it can beat the crap out of you too. The second scariest situation I've ever found myself in on a boat was on that lake. It's been 17 years since I was out there so much has changed I'm sure but Dillon Marina had boats to charter. Most likely they still do. They host some pretty huge regattas, perhaps you'll hit one.

Jul 13, 2010
Called Lake Dillon. Spike to someone,said still ice in the lake. It is a third party concessions that rents the boats, he thinks they still have Catalina 22 and 18. Suggested I call back end of May for more info.

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
I am learning to sail on Lake Dillon and constantly changing winds indeed a challenge. Most of the lake is still covered in ice but will likely melt early this year, certainly by July. Dillon marina has 22's for rent. Marina link appended and you can book online. The Dillon Yacht Club has weekend rigattas as well.
https://www.townofdillon.com/marina/boat-rentals

IMG_1045.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I remember back in the late sixties when Arapaho Basin held a pole peddle paddle event the end of season. Sometime in June.
Downhill from the West ridge, bike down hill to Dillon Lake, paddle a canoe around some buoys, then drink beer till the wee hours with a girl named Dallas.
What a memorable day.