Cold Weather Cruising ...

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
We were in snowmobile suits delivering our new boat from the Soo to Munising on June 30, 2014.

Aug 4, 2015
Oceanis 45 Chicago, Montrose Harbor
Exactly why I want heat while underway for my family down below while we're cruising!

Aug 4, 2015
So nobody mentioned the Newport Diesel Heater. Does anyone have any experience with it? They seem to have options for diesel, propane or solid fuel. Some of the YouTube reviews mention that the fan is very loud - which I would not like.

Aug 4, 2015
The Garcia 52, which is designed for cold weather sailing - uses a diesel heater, which is my favorite recommendation from this thread. Garcia takes it further and circulates hot water to radiators in the cabin ... rather than blowing hot air.

See 14:45 into the video:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
There were a couple of Garcia exploration boats next to me on the hard last year. Very impressive fit and finish. The quality of the aluminum hull welds was something to see. I’m not going anywhere that requires more than a reverse-cycle HVAC, but the Garcia’s are top shelf boats.

Apr 26, 2018
Catalina Catalina 30 Bayview
So nobody mentioned the Newport Diesel Heater. Does anyone have any experience with it? They seem to have options for diesel, propane or solid fuel. Some of the YouTube reviews mention that the fan is very loud - which I would not like.

Im just starting to get into the Dickinson diesel heater for up in North Idaho. Taking the chill off in the cabin when is is 38 deg overnight could make my young crew happy. Do people run this at night when sleeping? I have never been comfortable with combustables running when Im asleep. Seems a good way to die. But I know people do it all the time.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
If you go with an Espar, or other forced air system, for a variety of reasons, the duckwork is usually dedicated vs. combining your AC system's distribution ductwork.
We've had an Espar system on our current and prior boat. Our's isn't sized for "artic work", but it makes going down to the boat in 40 degree weather pretty comfortable (below). :^)))

If we kept the boat closed-up, it would work below that temperature -- but it's not like a nursery.

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
Forced air diesel heaters seem to work best on boats. First, the move air, this means you can intake fresh air which reduces moisture and helps with ventilation. Second, they are inexpensive (eBay units go for $200, brand names for $1,000, choose as you wish). Ductwork is expensive but you need it to distribute grate evenly around the boat. There is no other way, Dickinson sounds good until you realize the main saloon needs to be too hot for someone to sleep aft for example. Third, the ductwork typically lasts a long time. One can always replace the furnace with a newer unit. I recommend the eBay units for people who are casual and Wallis for people who are serious about winter sailing.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Forced air diesel heaters seem to work best on boats.
You mentioned some good reasons, but one of the other option beyond the Dickinson-type are hot water distribution, instead of air. Their advantage is you can make hot water while you're heating your boat, which air can't do. Of course, ventilation matters. So, very importantly, does the outside temperatures you have to deal with. Mild cold like down to freezing, water works just fine as long as it is sized properly - undersizing is bad. Below freezing air could have advantages. Hot water is very nice.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Hot water, with fan coil units in multiple cabins is nice, expensive, and not as immediately responsive. If you can't get the ductwork from the stern location (in almost all boats) to the forward cabins and heads, then a hot water/fan coil approach is probably something that you'd look at.

The ductwork for a forced-air, diesel heater system is usually much smaller and needs to have discharges which are smaller than forced-air cooling systems. Having a dual chilled-water and hot-water cooling system with fan coil units, is beyond what most of us would consider something that "mortals" would consider for a variety of reasons.

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
I have come to the conclusion that hot water is best served via the engine cooling circuit. Run the main engine for half an hour and you get plenty of hot water. It also depends on the size of the boat. Below 30 feet, Dickinson may be the simplest. 30-45 feet, forced hot air. Above 45 feet, you really need to think hard about your objectives - either multiple units or may be just a generator plus hot water plus reverse cycle... it is more of a professional installation at that point.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I have come to the conclusion that hot water is best served via the engine cooling circuit.
Much appreciated.

"I have come to the conclusion..." that it all depends on how you use your boat. You're correct about the boat size sometimes making an impact. But for a mid-30 foot coastal cruiser, as I am, I would like to stay in an anchorage for two days without running my main propulsion engine because I have enough battery capacity for three days and two nights. I'd like heat and hot water. Heat as a necessity, HW as a by-product for doing dishes, and me! :)

Your boat, your choice. :)

Point being, there is no ONE right answer for everybody, there are options and choices.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I’m installing a Planar 44D Diesel heater because that’s what the budget allows. Looks like ducts, grill and misc stuff will be more than the heater cost. It’s in the aft cabin so should be far enough away to be quiet when sleeping forward.

Edit: for day time I have a toasty custom DrySuit from Kokatat

Les