Cold start problems

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
In winter, or if it's been weeks since I started it, my 2GM20F always starts immediately with a medium to wide open throttle (WOT).. You have to back it off once it starts (obviously). If the engine has been "in use", either winter/summer, it starts with no throttle. I had the same winter starting issues until someone suggested the WOT method. The hair dryer method is interesting, however.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I have the 2QM15 with a similar problem. Yanmar sells a Thermostart device that may solve your problem. It is marketed for the tractor version of some of their engines, possibly yours. In my case the device screws in to an available port on top of the intake manifold. It is a strange but clever system that uses 12 V to heat up a coil under an expansion valve inside that drips diesel fuel over the heating coil which then ignites, heating the air inside the manifold. There is a small fuel container on top that holds maybe 4 ounces of diesel. I added a second start button to power this device. The procedure is to hold that button for about 25 seconds, then release and push the regular start button. Google "Thermostart" . I bought mine from Hoye Tractor on line. Videos on youtube also. Once installed it is easier than deploying a hairdryer.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Here in Louisiana, the water temp, and hence the temperature in a "cold" engine box, rarely goes below 60F so cold starts on a healthy GMF aren't a problem..

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Here is a link to a youtube video of the Yanmar Thermostart

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
My 2GM has always been hard staring even here in South Florida. I found giving it about 1/3 throttle gets it to start right up. I also have an electric fuel pump and I let it run for a few seconds before I push the start button. Works for me.