Registered users don't see ads

Cold Snapped

Discussion in 'Ask All Sailors' started by Phil Herring, Jan 7, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Phil Herring

Phil Herring Dethroned Admin

Joined Mar 25, 1997
    4,405 posts, 310 likes
    US Bainbridge Island
    Winter weather can be tough on boats, but has it been tough on yours? Frozen plumbing, wind-blown rigging, leaks, any of them can ruin your whole day.

Tell us about your winter wreckage, then get back in front of the fire and warm up.

frozen.jpg

Will Gilmore likes this.
  2. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    4,887 posts, 2,114 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Lake Murray Sailing Club, SC
    I have an iris in my front yard that will be blooming any day now. Roses and azaleas are blooming, too.

3. Ken Cross

Ken Cross

Joined Oct 24, 2010
    1,887 posts, 292 likes
    Hunter 30
    US Everett, WA
    I had a pump on a toilet freeze once.
    Ken

BrianRobin likes this.
  4. MisterR6

MisterR6

Joined Mar 29, 2015
    64 posts, 37 likes
    MacGregor 25
    US trailer sailer
    Yep. We have iris, roses and several others blooming. Strange weather( low 70s) for January. Its been wet too. Almost 7 inches of rain since Christmas week. Lake level is overfull covering many docks and the dam dumping full tilt, making the river downstream flood. Took video of my daughter on the fishing dock underwater , but its usually about 12-15 feet above the water.

5. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    4,887 posts, 2,114 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Lake Murray Sailing Club, SC
    0364143D-F6FD-4277-9710-9946B9950760.jpeg
    Your description sounds like Wateree Lake, SC. The dam has no flood gates so it overflows regularly.

6. Scott T-Bird

Scott T-Bird

Joined Oct 26, 2008
    3,643 posts, 717 likes
    Starwind 27
    US Barnegat, NJ
    I'm sort of waiting for winter to come around, too. We had a little taste of skiing on Christmas Eve. Since then, a fire in the fireplace hasn't been necessary and the firewood outside has been soaking in the rain! New England should get a good snow storm today and tomorrow, one hopes!

7. Bruce Conron

Bruce Conron

Joined Nov 6, 2012
    4 posts, 3 likes
    Hunter 27
    CA Penetang ON
    Nothing that a little forethought would have prevented. During my first off-season, the tarps didn't cover the teak stern seats. Result: six months on the hard with repetitive bouts of Ontario rain, snow, and ice did a serious number on the factory finish. Solution: the tarp was retrofitted. A few winters later, the pump sleeve on the Jabsco head cracked under the strain of water freezing in the cylinder. Solution: I now completely disconnect the pump assembly from the base after fall haul-out to effectively void any water residue. At the same time, I examine the state of the water seal on the joker valve and the viability of the base valve gasket.

8. Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Joined Mar 1, 2012
    1,576 posts, 524 likes
    1961 Rhodes Meridian 25
    us Texas coast
    Sure glad we very seldom have cold enough to freeze things- I absolutely detest cold.

9. pateco

pateco

Joined Aug 12, 2014
    2,185 posts, 622 likes
    Hunter 31 (1983)
    US Pompano Beach FL
    Christmas Day. No Cold Snap here.

49067508_1389742707826549_8339996056905318400_n.jpg

Tom J likes this.
  10. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    7,008 posts, 704 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    Ugh. Snow forecast this weekend

11. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    2,161 posts, 870 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA
    Not so cold but the Wind sure snapped Sunday Am. 50mph+, branches everywhere. Just got power after 35hrs without. Boat no problems. Portable garage over sons Type3 VW ruined.

View from street.
    D1073FAA-4C95-4D42-B01D-EF6629AC7A85.jpeg

12. Misfits

Misfits

Joined Apr 14, 2009
    589 posts, 52 likes
    Sabre 28
    US NH
    Thanks, really appreciate hearing this, lol. Rub it in:wahwah:

13. Daveinet

Daveinet

Joined Sep 20, 2014
    942 posts, 177 likes
    Rob Legg RL24
    US Chain O'Lakes
    I'm outside of Chicago, and went for a motorcycle ride Saturday, does that count?

I suppose if it requires a boat story, I failed to cover my boat this year. Much to my dismay, several weeks back, I pulled several chunks of ice out of the cabin. Apparently I have developed a leak.

14. Dalliance

Dalliance

Joined Oct 6, 2007
    631 posts, 75 likes
    Hunter 1982 H30 Cherubini
    US Chicago (Burnham)
    We’ve enjoyed a few days of spring-like weather, but it looks like high winds tomorrow and then back to winter for a while. I checked the boat a week ago and everything looked great; shrink-wrap was tight, boat was dry and I saw no signs of condensation. I seem to have found the right combination of ventilation and DampRid buckets. We’ll see what the next three months bring, but so far, so good. Knock on wood, I’ve never had any winter wind, freezing or ice damage.

My biggest winter worry in the past was actually the cradle. It used to have just two jack pads per side and I always felt there was more movement on windy days than there should be. It never did any damage, but a couple years ago, to be cautious, I had a midship jack pad welded to each side of the cradle frame. Six points of support to the hull rather than just four. The boat is much better supported in the cradle now and I sleep better knowing that. Not sure if “jack pad” is the right term, but I think you get the idea.

Tom J likes this.
  15. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    3,901 posts, 1,912 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    Our local hospital's ED has been overrun with ortho injuries. The skiing has been icy and sparse of snow. Lots of accidents on the mountain.
    No issues with freezing on Dragonfly. She's too basic for that. Maybe frozen flotation could cause swelling, but I won't know that until the tarp comes off.

-Will (Dragonfly)

16. TomY

TomY Alden Forum Moderator

Joined Jun 22, 2004
    1,456 posts, 1,147 likes
    Alden 38' Challenger yawl
    US Rockport Harbor
    Winter is coming,....
    Blizzard 2:9:13 Walking dogs vertical.jpg

pateco, BrianRobin and Will Gilmore like this.
  17. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    3,901 posts, 1,912 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    It's always nice to get a lift through the snow. :dancing:

-Will (Dragonfly)

18. TomY

TomY Alden Forum Moderator

Joined Jun 22, 2004
    1,456 posts, 1,147 likes
    Alden 38' Challenger yawl
    US Rockport Harbor
    A wimpy winter so far, Will. My family did a bit of skiing and shredding at our local ski area that looks out over the ocean.

It's open on a limited basis and my family took a few runs over the holidays. But I'm waiting for more snow before I strap my tray on.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  19. Ron20324

Ron20324

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    6,624 posts, 766 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Annapolis MD
    Hey, guys... look: the fox has captured the hounds!
    [​IMG]

20. h2o_snow

h2o_snow

Joined Nov 18, 2016
    71 posts, 41 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Lucky Peak, ID
    Winter is here although our precip. level is below average. The H260 is in covered storage but that took a while to get - just moved in. We usually keep it on the trailer after the dock dries and sail into Oct. - all the spaces were taken until some XMas snowbirds flew. Have more issues with wind carrying ag. dirt than anything else - will need to refinish the rear seats and cabin boards this spring.

New years eve yurt trip: touring gear - a bit thin for the heavy metal.
    upload_2019-1-8_19-22-35.png

Lucky Peak - our home (F dock) in the foreground. (Just like a bathtub!)
    upload_2019-1-8_19-26-56.png

TomY and Will Gilmore like this.

Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.