Cold drinking water on-board

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I usually post in the Mac section, but I think a lot of folks use the same blue jugs for drinking water on-board so I figured I'd share this to all.
I recently covered my 2 1/2 gallon blue jug with foil backed insulation, which turned out to be a VERY worthwhile project. When we pack the boat I fill the blue jug 3/4 full with ice-cubes from the refrigerator ice maker before filling with tap water. we recently went on a 3 day trip in 95* heat and still had ice cubes after 2 days, and the water was still pretty cold at the end of 3 (kept on the cabin floor most of the time). the test worked so well that I sewed up a cover for it (to match cushions) to protect the foil a bit. The insulation I used was: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Aluminized-Heat-and-Noise-Insulation-Shield-Double-Sided,32193.html , but I'm sure a similar product is available other places as well. I used foil tape made for the product to tape the pieces of insulation together .
Now we can just take one or two water bottles and re-fill them from the jug, which will save us a TON of room in the ice chest.
P1050257.jpg

P1050255.jpg

Last edited:
May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Wow, what a great idea that works! And with STYLE to boot.
Some questions:
What brand and source for the water jugs?
What is the capacity?
Who is your decorator?
:clap:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Last edited:
Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
What did they say..."necessity is the mother of inventions" ! Good work!! :)

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Great idea! Anything you can do to reduce opening your primary ice chest the better. Try doubling the layer of the insulation, might last even longer. I had a physics professor calculate the heat transfer for various insulation thicknesses because I hypothesized that at some point the larger surface area would cause greater heat transfer than the benefit of the added insulation, he proved me wrong. The more insulation the better.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Thanks Claude. Interesting read. I have a sheet of similar material that I put at the top inside of my built in ice chest as the cover is not insulated but the sides and bottom are well insulated. It is like bubble wrap with very small bubbles and aluminum on both sides. Works great. I think this is the stuff but not sure where I would use 125 feet of it. https://www.amazon.com/Insulated-Me...r=1-4-catcorr&keywords=bubble+wrap+insulation

Last edited: