Cockpit teak

Bryan9

Apr 28, 2015
Beneteau 323 Sarah Creek, Gloucester, VA
Athena refinished teak.jpg
After 11 years of weathering, my 2006 Beneteau 323's cockpit teak was rough and gray. Yesterday, I sanded it smooth with 150 grit sandpaper (about 5 hours of work) and treated it with Semco's Natural teak sealer/oil (1 1/2 hours). I'm pleased with the results. The Semco oil is amazingly easy to apply. I understand that I will need to add additional coats during the season, but it's so easy I don't mind.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Bryan,
I did the same to my '06 Ben 343 a couple years ago; sanded until most of the roughness was gone, treated with teak cleaner, and applied Semco natural & then clear. Looked almost as good as yours! This year I decided to retreat it and simply washed it thoroughly with simple green and soft brush across the grain, dried thoroughly, and recoated with Semco natural and clear. It looks OK; however, I didn't get that nice teak color again like you have. Guess that I should have treated with a one part teak cleaner before recoating. I am trying not to get too aggressive with multiple teak treatments and multiple sandings; however, I guess that's the only way to get the teak color back again. When I have to recoat it again in few months, guess that I will go thru the entire process again. I do like the Semco, very easy to apply. Nice job; looks great!

Jan 2, 2016
Beneteau 49 Little Creek, VA
Bryan9 - did you (or anyone else reading this) use the Semco 2 part cleaner prior to application of the Semco sealer? I'm looking at revamping the teak in the cockpit area of my Beneteau and wonder if I should go forward with their 2 part process or try something a little less aggressive. Any shared experience is appreciated!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I cleaned the teak first with a generic 2 part cleaner (West). I did not use the Semco cleaner. Then sanded with 100 -150-220 grit using a random orbital sander being careful not to tear the black sealant that is between the teak panels on the seats. Vacuumed up the dust and used a tack cloth before sealing. Guess you could try a one part cleaner; however, you may need more than one application if the teak is badly weathered.

Bryan9

Apr 28, 2015
Bryan9 - did you (or anyone else reading this) use the Semco 2 part cleaner prior to application of the Semco sealer? I'm looking at revamping the teak in the cockpit area of my Beneteau and wonder if I should go forward with their 2 part process or try something a little less aggressive. Any shared experience is appreciated!
I decided to skip the cleaner and focus on the sanding. Using an orbital sander and 150 sandpaper, I sanded perpendicular to the grain until I had eliminated the black streaks. I'm not really sure just what benefit I would have gotten from using the cleaner... I'm 100% pleased with the results.

Apr 8, 2016
Beneteau 361 Clipper Garrucha, Spain
Super job Bryan. Could I ask, was the black chalking raised higher than the teak, did you have to trim that back first? Did you use just an orbital sander or mouse too? I assume you didn't remove it all, how did you protect the GelCoat?
Thanks in advance.

Bryan9

Apr 28, 2015
Super job Bryan. Could I ask, was the black chalking raised higher than the teak, did you have to trim that back first? Did you use just an orbital sander or mouse too? I assume you didn't remove it all, how did you protect the GelCoat?
Thanks in advance.
The black caulking was lower than the surface of the teak, thankfully, so it wasn't necessary to trim it back. I used a Bosch orbital sander with 150 grit sanding discs. To protect the gel coat from staining, I taped around the edges using 2" Frog Tape.