Cockpit Size

May 10, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 31 Beaver Lake, Roger, AR.
Hello:
I am re-entering the sailing world after 30 year, hobies and 22 ft day sailors as a child and teenager. Now I'm looking for a boat 28 foot minimum, to about 32 for Beaver Lake in Arkansas. While I have and continue to develop criteria for the boat, My main two are for the boat to be set up for single handed sailing, and most important of all is the size of the cockpit. I want to be able to enjoy time with friends without tripping over each other. before I actually make trips to look boats, I would like to be able to get an understanding of cockpit dimensions in some fashion, sq feet, width x length, or some method that can be used to compare. Specifically I would like to be able to understand the differences between the 280, 290 / 306, and the 320.

Can anyone point me to reference materials, or if they have the information, just let me know. Thanks for your assistance.

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
Hi Willie, welcome. A couple of things. I have never seen any document that details cockpit size dimensions for any manufacturer. I have owned four Catalina's, an Islander 28, Island Packet 27 and now this 2008 Hunter 27-3. In the process of buying I have looked over MANY brands and models and I feel pretty safe saying the cockpits on the Catalina's are the largest of any boat we have looked at while the Hunter's, at least the 2000 and up models, seem to be on the smallish side. The plus side is that many, if not all the Hunter's have those rail seats which makes a really nice addition to seating. If you are looking for a boat set up for single handing I think you will be disappointed with the h306. The 306 and the 326 are setup with the winches located on the cabin top, on either side of the companionway hatch. Not easy to control the sails with that configuration. I prefer the way our Islander 28 and this h27-3 is set up with the primary winches adjacent to the wheel. Not to say you CAN'T single hand the 306, I have used wheel brakes and autopilots in the past when raising or dropping sails, but with the cabin top winch setup you would need to do that every tack. A couple we know owned a h306 for one season, really disliked the boat because of the light weight (they called it a "bobber") and the winch setup.

This is my opinion, is free and worth just that. Sorry I can't give you more info on the other three models you are considering.

Jul 11, 2016
Hunter 326 Oriental, NC
Willie,

Good to hear you're getting back into sailing. I've attached an old brochure for the 306/326. Unfortunately they don't have the cockpit dimensions. I can take some measurements of my H326 this weekend if you like, just let me know. I would have to respectfully disagree with Craig though. The H326 cockpit seems large for a 32' boat. It can fit 5 comfortably and up to 7 well with the pushpit seating. I actually think they went too far in trying to make the cockpit larger. As it runs aft the cockpit widens leaving no foot room on the deck where Hunter put the gate. I had SS rails put in where the original gate was and moved the gate forward to allow better footing when coming aboard. You can see that at the 1:43 mark

Craig has valid points with the wench location. It is not ideal. There are two along the cockpit deck but utilizing them has it's own problems with fair leads and running lines over seating areas. To singlehand you need to either friction lock the wheel or use the autopilot to turn as you trim sheets. I usually get lines ready, hit the 10 degree turn several times then start trimming on the new tack. It's doable, but not very efficient.

Dave

Attachments

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Now for my totally biased opinion. The Catalina 310 has a fantastic cockpit for a 31' boat and has the corner rail seats much like larger boats. I added a folding wheel to mine and this opens things up even more. Winches are located very nicely and hardware is robust. The V berth is also the largest of any boat that I know of in the 31' range. Galley space is reduced a little because of this but well laid out.
Mainsails come with either in-mast furling or the Dutchman system, and there are fin and wing keel models.
Catalina didn't make a lot of 310's so they are relatively difficult to find.
You can't have mine!

Cheers

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Gerry Douglas, (our hero) has always stated that cockpit design is one of the highest things on his list, since people spend most of their time in it. Consequently, the ability to have a comfortable nap on either side matters.
Even down the design scale as far as the 270, you will find this, and we have rail seats too.

May 10, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 31 Beaver Lake, Roger, AR.
Thanks this is ALL great information. As I've said I've started a list of criteria, must haves and like to haves. I'll continue to build this but I think I need to get back into the sailing community and ask to crew on a few different boats for a day to get a feel for the differences. Looking at pictures simply isn't going to do it.

Still on the subject of purchasing a boat but switching veins a bit, is there such a thing as a buyers agent? Beaver lake in Northwest Arkansas does not have a large number of sailboats. I cannot afford to buy a boat that I'm ultimately unhappy with or has a lot of unforeseen issues. I don't have time for a project boat and I would say that a sailboat here is not a liquid asset, it might take a while to turn a 30 foot boat. I would rather take my time finding the right boat at the right price than jumping too quickly. However once I decide on a brand an model, I'll need to locate one, survey it, get it shipped, rigged, and put in the water. If there is such a thing as a buyers agent that could assist in the location of the boat, and all the above to get it relocated and ultimately Put in the lake it would be a big help.

I would appreciate input on this.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Go live on Yachtworld for a while. Their presentation allows pretty easy apples-apples comparisons and is a decent gauge of prices.

Jul 11, 2016
Hunter 326 Oriental, NC
Willie,
There are buyers agents for boats. They work very similar to real estate agents, they split the same commission. You can go with any "yacht sales" business in your area and ask around. They can help find a boat and offer comparison final sale prices. They can also help organize the survey and haul out if you like or you can do it on your own. Treat it like buying a house, have them do the leg work, then go and do your own assessment before putting money down and you should be happy with the service.

Dave

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
Willie,
If you can get your hands on a Westerly Fulmar 32 you will soon think you have died and gone to heaven. They are British built and have about the same amount of room inside as most 35 to 36 foot boats. They are beamy but they make great racers. They come in both wheel and tiller configuration and they come with either 7/8 or full rig. Now, to the part you seem most interested in - the cockpit has got to be the most comfortable one of any boat bar non in the 32 foot range. It has a long cockpit and the seats are wide enough and long enough to lay on comfortably. The combings are very high which makes for an unbeatable backrest. There are cabin top winches as well as winches on the combings which are within easy reach of the helmsman. This boat is built extremely strong. The cockpit locker is huge. I owned one for about 7 years while living in Bermuda. I sailed it from Bermuda to Grenada and back. It is a very seaworthy boat. The only drawback I found with the Westerly is the headliner. In tropical weather the foam backing of the vinyl liner disintegrates causing it to sag. I tried various glues and finally fount that permatex worked fine. Removed all the liners (they are glued on thin plywood panels) brushed off all the old foam and put small blobs of permatex at equal distances apart and the result was quite pleasing to the eye. I would have been so happy to be able to find a Westerly in eastern Canada but there were none to be had. They are scarce on this side of the Atlantic. My friend in the UK recently told me they are very much in demand in Europe. The Royal Navy uses them for sail training. Maybe you can be lucky enough to find one.