Cockpit foot rest

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jbd1924

We recently purchased a slightly used 309 but won't have a chance to sail her until next spring. Our prior boats always had narrow beams where someone sitting on windward seat could brace themselves by placing their feet on the opposite seat edges. The 309 cockpit is too wide to reach the opposite seat.

Are your sailing guests having problems holding their windward positions in windy conditions and are there any suggestions such as foot rests on the cockpit sole?

Thanks,
Joe

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Looks like you stumped everyone with this question. We've been sailing our 309 for three summers now and I'd have to say there are times when I envy the guys with the traditional cockpits.

Most of the time though, I"m satisfied with the design of the 309 cockpit. I see no cure for being unable to stretch your legs to the other side.

Nov 7, 2009
Catalina 309 Marion, MA
Thanks for the note. The boatyard has suggested a teak strip on both sides of the cockpit sole as foot braces but I think I'll try it for a season before any modifications.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Waiting's a good idea. It's easy to drill holes in a boat...first year of our boat we decided not to make any mods that involved a drill. No regrets on that.

I'm thinking the suggested teak strips would be too low to really be useful / not as good as putting your legs across a conventional cockpit. Plus, you'd be putting teak, with maintenance, on a boat that thankfully has NO exterior wood. And holes that you never drill, never leak.

By the way, it has to be killing you to have to wait to sail your boat!

Nov 7, 2009
Catalina 309 Marion, MA
You got that last part right - almost 4 months to sail the new boat. And, now there's 16"s of snow sitting on her!

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Keep it simple

I am also phobic about drilling holes in a boat. When racing, my crew just hikes their derrieres up a little more so they are sitting on the coaming.

Feb 9, 2010
Undecided 30' Something Oyster Bay, NY
While doing my research on the 309, I came across this review from tropicalboating.com in May 2007:

"The cockpit of the 309 is vast. I'm 6 feet tall, and when I sit on one side of the cockpit, my feet are nowhere near the bench on the other side. We put a 48 quart cooler in the cockpit, and it is the perfect size to fill that gap and give you somewhere to brace your feet when the boat is heeling."

Though no one likes a cluttered cockpit, this may be a good compromise rather than drilling into the cockpit sole.

Oct 15, 2009
catalina 320 Perry Lake
You might consider having the standard cockpit table installed. I have a friend with a new 375 and their table acts as a foot brace. Personally, I like the room of the open cockpit.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Yeah, this is probably a case of just getting used to the boat. There are advantages and disadvantage to modern and classic cockpit configurations.

You could try those stilts that the drywallers use, though. Easy to reach across the cockpit to brace yourself.

Here's one idea that's worked for me. I took out the helm seat section and store it at home. That allows me to sit on the high side, reach the wheel, and easily brace my feet across the narrow opening. And when I stand at the wheel, I have a lot more room available. The lifelines are still in place and prevent me from falling off the stern.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Has it occurred to anyone that with a production hull ...

like the 309 and 310 that if you are that far heeled over you are losing speed? I know it feels faster to be heeled over, but the numbers don't lie and you are actually going slower if you are that far heeled over.

Feb 9, 2010
Undecided 30' Something Oyster Bay, NY
You could try those stilts that the drywallers use, though. Easy to reach across the cockpit to brace yourself.
Great idea! :doh:
Here's one idea that's worked for me. I took out the helm seat section and store it at home. That allows me to sit on the high side, reach the wheel, and easily brace my feet across the narrow opening. And when I stand at the wheel, I have a lot more room available. The lifelines are still in place and prevent me from falling off the stern.
This method would work for the helmsman but not for those sitting around the cockpit, like my wife who gets white knuckled hanging on for dear life and she won't sit on the leeward side because it's closer to the water....:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.