Cockpit Drain repair - ODAY 25

Feb 20, 2012
Oday 25 Wilmington
Need some advice on this tricky repair.

The good...I am in the midst of a transom overhaul. Found the cockpit drain is seperating from the transom. The cockpit end seems OK.

The bad...I have to figure out how to get plywood around this thing to complete the transom repairThe water that comes out of this drain dumps right over the lower gudgeon...

Im thinking about a few different approaches
1: Cut the drain flush with the transom, and about halfway back to the cockpit. Lay the new transom plywood and reglass. cut out a 3" hole in the plywood for the new drain. refill with epoxy. cut out 2" hole and reglass this to whats left of the the cockpit drain. (somehow remaking this circular drain with fiber?!?!

2: Rebond the drain tube to the transom before redoing the plywood. would have to notch the plywood around this area.

3: hope that someone else has had to do this before and has the magic solution haha. Most of the Oday's seem to have a rubber drain here, but mine is glass?

Attachments

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
On my 1976 Oday 25 the cockpit drain setup is two 1 1/2 inch mushroom head thru hull fittings connected by a length of 1 1/2 inch marine sanitary hose. The mushroom barbs point at each other under the cockpit. This setup would allow you to remove the glassed in drain making the installation of the new transom easier and stronger.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Yep, my 1980 has the same setup as svchickadee. Knowing that the cockpit is a tub that sits in the hull, I would think a flexible drain hose would be better than a rigid fiberglass pipe that could crack when the hull flexes.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Im with Ward
I'd get two of the barbed through hulls and run some tygon tubing between them
A 20 min job

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Seems to me someone once said following seas could come into the cockpit? It'd help to connect port cockpit to stbd thruhull, and visa-versa/ Maybe use 4 90-degree thruhulls?

Feb 20, 2012
Oday 25 Wilmington
Thanks everyone, picked up some marelon thru-hulls and plan to install tomorrow. I wonder if there are any other 25's with this design? I've never had any water in the cockpit while sailing, but the old design (or someones redesign) had two major flaws. The water from the cockpit exited over the lower gudgeon. This area was soaking wet even though my boat has been on hard for 3 years. The fiberglass tube also did not allow for any flexibility...no wonder it was cracked! The new thru hull will now drain through the bottom of the trough in the cockpit, and exit somewhere port side (no way Im about to thru hull and brand new transom!!)

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
Looking at your original pictures your transom had been rebuilt prior to your rebuild. My guess is that this was when the glassed in tube was installed. If your lower gudgeon is bedded properly it will not leak. That gudgeon is under water often when the boat is being used. An off center drain discharge will result in the cockpit not draining when the boat is healed.