Cockpit cushion thoughts....

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
I always leave Bimini on my passage 42. I am looking at replacing current cushions as the current ones are some hard foam (reminds me of the type used when packing servers in boxes)

Looking for thoughts on the foam. Open cell versus closed cell. The cushions on this site are closed cell while a number of people are recommending open cell.

For an open cell (medium - firm) 3" versus 2". 3" sounds more comfortable but I will lose an inch of back support on the wall of cockpit

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I had 3" closed cell with medium density made for mine. 2" on the back rest. 19 years now. Had the bottoms redone about seven years ago. FWIW.

Feb 17, 2013
Hunter 380 Port Clinton, Ohio
I removed the cockpit cushions from my Hunter 380. I purchased four West Marine low back Go-Anywhere seats. They are adjustable and very comfy. Everybody on my boat loves them. They sometimes go on sale,

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Ours are 1.5 inch closed cell foam, with the Sunsure fabric covering it is about 2 inches, very firm, but comfortable and rugged. This foam floats and will never take on any water. Open cell foam is not recommended for outdoor use because it just becomes a sponge.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
I replaced my hard closed cell for hard (go with hard because it is really soft foam) dry fast foam....which is very very comfortable. It is open cell but it does not soak up water...goes right through it. I have 4" inches and slept on it for 30 days straight crossing the South Pacific...very comfortable. I had it covered with a sun resistant vinyl from sailrite.com. After a rain just wipe off the top and it is all good.

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
I removed the cockpit cushions from my Hunter 380. I purchased four West Marine low back Go-Anywhere seats. They are adjustable and very comfy. Everybody on my boat loves them. They sometimes go on sale,
I did the same on my Hunter 380. 50 bucks each for the West Marine seats on sale. Adjustable Back support and also use them in my RIB. Back support is really great at the helm seat, which the cushions will not do.

Increased their water repellant nature with some can spray for Sunbrella.... same I use on my Bimini. Easy to tilt on sides out of the way when you need to get to storage areas. A fraction of the cost. No need to take out of the weather or store inside.

Regards,
Viper

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I bought 4 folding blue cushions at our Strictly Sail show a few years back ($50 each on sale). We use these exclusively and do not use our flat cockpit cushions except at the helm seat (if I want a little padding). The Admiral loves the folding cushions, whether she is sitting up or reclining on the length of the cockpit seat. She can adjust the angle of the back, and they provide really good back support.
IMG_1215.JPGD267FCCB-3D78-42A7-BBD1-381C59DA3D73.jpeg

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Greg... She is looking very comfortable. I have two of the same seats. They are great. I'm thinking I need to get a couple more.

Jan 1, 2014
I use seat cushions like that for at anchor or just hang out. To replace my cushions in the cockpit for underway they don't slide around. I tried 3 inch open so dry fast cushion seems to bottom out. Tried a 2 inch close cell seems a little too firm. Looking for other ideas

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Sometimes I like to sleep/nap in the cockpit, so cushions are a must vs only having chairs
Closed cell foam for support with 1" of reticulated foam on top for comfort works well.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I am having a friend, who sews for a little extra money, make new cushion covers. My plan is to order 3/4" closed cell foam and glue it together into cushion shaped boxes (top and bottom in the shape of the cockpit and cabin cushions with 1-1/2" walls around the edges) that is 3" deep with a 1-1/2" space in the middle (maybe 4" thickness on the bunks). I want to fill the middle with an inflatable bladder, like a beach float, to adjust density. Firm in the cockpit, soft in the bunks. Included in that is a tie-down system so the cushions stay in place even if Dragonfly gets swamped. Dragonfly is only 19'2" and 1350 lbs. That amount of closed cell foam and inflatable space, along with her built in flotation, would keep her from sinking if she filled with water.

I want to be able to take Dragonfly into open ocean and reach islands and other destinations that may be as far as 75 nm off-shore.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 1, 2014
I have read about that. You need to put holes in the closed cell to allow water to drain through. Not sure how comfortable that will be as 1" open cell won't provide much support

Jan 1, 2014
I have read about that. You need to put holes in the closed cell to allow water to drain through. Not sure how comfortable that will be as 1" open cell won't provide much support