Coast Guard Support

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Don:
As the OP, the only reason I did not include information on TSA or Boarder Security is that I am not personally aware of the issues with those services. There was never an intent to ignore, only an intent to advocate for that which I knew factually and directly. I hope you understand.
I do. My thought was prompted by going through Customs and TSA security yesterday during which I realized there are a whole bunch of diligent and dedicated people working for free to keep us safe and any assistance we may offer might be best aimed with a wider net where possible. As an x-coastie, I don't mean to diminish their importance but know they are on the periphery of maintaining national security.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Do something, anything. Our local US Power Squadron is delivering bagels and cream cheese to our local CG station. Not a big deal, not a big expense. Just a small way of saying we appreciate what you do, and we'd like to help in this current situation in a small way.
Take an action in your neighborhood. Small gestures can mean a lot. of course, if you have the means for more support, go for it!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Take an action in your neighborhood. Small gestures can mean a lot. of course, if you have the means for more support, go for it!
One of the guys in my club is working with a local credit union to support the local CG station. I'll be going to the bank in the morning (before the snow storm).

May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
Call local Targets, WalMarts, Grocery Stores, Local Businesses, etc. Ask them about their giving programs ... every little bit helps

May 28, 2015
Gentlemen, I don't usually have an issue with threads zigging and zagging ... but this topic is too important to get flagged by the Moderators. I would love to join a discussion about Constitutional Law but this thread is about getting help to the USCG personnel. Would you mind respecting that and help keep this thread on topic?

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I advocate for caring, as opposed to apathy or helplessness. This is very much in the spirit of sailing. When I see something on my boat that is in disrepair, I take action. I do not ignore the problem or say that it is too complex for me to fix. I either fix the problem myself, or hire a professional to fix the problem. If I hire a professional to fix a problem, and the person does not perform, then I get rid of that vendor. If I buy insurance, or a charter, or repairs, and the service quality is bad, perhaps I'll mention it here so that my friends do not fall into similar scams. I will not advocate to you intelligent skippers the best way to fix, sail, or anchor your boat, but I will tell you what has worked for me and caution you against my mistakes.

If you have paid for a service, and the contractor does not pay his workers, perhaps you should consider the contractor's integrity. You certainly should not say that you are powerless to change anything.

May 28, 2015
I'm sorry to share this but I was just advised that the "death gratuity" which is $100K paid to the USCG personnel in the event of death in the line of duty will not be paid until the appropriations are authorized by Congress and the White House. I'm not sure what more we are going to do to these folks but it isn't right