Coast Guard Support

May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
Friends:
Today was the Active Duty Payroll date and members of the Coast Guard were not paid during this pay-cycle. Information on this can be found here: https://www.dcms.uscg.mil/budget/

Young Coast Guard families and personnel typically have not yet built up significant emergency financial reserves due to their age and pay levels. They tend to live paycheck to paycheck. This is especially true for young families when a Coast Guard spouse is on an extended offshore cruise (these can last for months).

These young men and women need help and the need will grow exponentially in the upcoming weeks if the shutdown continues. Giving is complicated in this situation because Federal Ethics regulations tend to impede the ability of federal employees from accepting gifts.

Thankfully the US Coast Guard Chief Petty Officers Association (CPOA) is a 501c3 organization that can lend assistance without risking Coast Guard personnel coming into conflict with Federal Ethics regulations.

There are numerous local chapters of the CPOA throughout the nation.

https://www.uscgcpoa.org/organization/cpoa/cpoa-chapters/

I am not writing you to elicit your personal donations, frankly this issue is bigger than any of us can address on our own.

Instead, I am asking you to take a few minutes to think about the organizations and communities you may be a part of … especially if you live near the coast: VFW, American Legion, Elks, Social Clubs, Yacht Clubs, Churches … you get the idea. Every one of these organizations tend to have a giving spirit and a means to aggregate giving.

I am also asking you to think about relationships you might have with organizations who might give to a 501c3, for example Target has this type of program. They may not know about the need in their own community and they may be ready, willing, and able to help.

I would be grateful if you could forward this note along to 10 contacts and ask them to do the same.

The needs are not fancy. Gift Cards (grocery stores/gas), non-perishable grocery items, diapers, wipes, etc. is what we are talking about. This is about helping to temporarily support people who are more accustomed to being there for us in times of our need, not the other way around. Said differently, this is about buying time and helping them stretch the dollars they have.

Of course if you are inclined to give, by all means, every little bit will help a neighbor.

CPOA members can typically pick up donations at a collection point or donations can be dropped off at the CPOA.

I know I posted last week on a similar topic but this issue is expected to become pretty severe over the next few weeks.

Thank you,

Kev

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There was a piece on NPR today about this. To make matters more difficult, Active Duty personnel had their workload increased. Most of the USCG civilian employees have been furloughed and their jobs are being done by those on Active Duty. So it is more work, no pay.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Yes, they have shut down their regular support ops to focus on dealing with shut-down related financial emergencies. They uniquely identify specific financial obligations stressing USCG uniformed and assist. Contributions build the fund.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Coast Guard Island (Alameda, Calif.) is directly across from us. The local community is working with the Coast Guard Spouses club to donate essentials during this time. We have the following in our newsletter:

Coast Guard Help.jpg

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Number of TSA personnel: 57,000
Number of border security personnel: 62,000.
Number of active duty CG personnel: 40,000. (I used to be one)

I note these numbers, all of whom are affected by the partial shutdown, to put into perspective how they are all working without pay. I know we have a boating focus here, however, let's not ignore how literally millions of peoples' lives, safety and security are in the hands of the two former agencies as well as many others besides the CG.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Is there a way/location to help out everyone?

(Besides a GoFundMe site to build a big beautiful wall around 1600, no communication in or out?)

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Is there a way/location to help out everyone?
You are in North Carolina, right? Contact your U.S. Senators (Rich Burr and Thom Tillis) and ask that they insist the Leader bring the government funding legislation they voted for last month back to the floor for a vote. It is already approved by the House. Senate passes it with the same majority as last month, it is veto proof. Government is funded, employees get paid.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
You are in North Carolina, right? Contact your U.S. Senators (Rich Barr and Thom Tillis) and ask that they insist the Leader bring the government funding legislation they voted for last month back to the floor for a vote. It is already approved by the House. Senate passes it with the same majority as last month, it is veto proof. Government is funded, employees get paid.
Need I remind everybody? Please (try) let's keep it neutral. Please.
@Brian D, as someone who has occasionally pushed the limits here on political topics, I appreciate your position. :)

For everyone else, our Founders were a pretty smart group of guys, even if they weren't sailors. They anticipated a lot of problems and put in as many safeguards as they could. Pretty good thinking 200+ years ago.

They understood that sometimes the will of the people and the president would not align. That's why they put the 3 co-equal branches of government in place, each with checks and balances. At this point, actually, 3 weeks ago, there should have been a vote in the Senate on the House approved measures. If it passed, then the President can agree or veto it. Then the House and Senate get to vote on overriding the veto.

The biggest problem at this point is the Senate Majority Leader won't allow votes on the House approved measures.

Democracy is about the will of the majority. Here we have one person, selected by a minority (the good people of Tennessee) who is holding millions of Federal Employees and contractors hostage.

May 28, 2015
Need I remind everybody? Please (try) let's keep it neutral. Please.
As the OP, Brian I appreciate your reinforcing the "politically neutral" stance. It is the single most critical aspect of the advocacy for the USCG ... they must remain apolitical and so must their advocates.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I appreciate ya'll understanding. This issue is not with me or the other mods, it is with the SBO Police Bot. If he/she jumps in and starts sending people on "vacation" there is nothing us mods can do about it. It is out of our hands. So, type your post, go get a coffee, come back and read your post. If you see anything that could create a problem, delete it. That will keep the post neutral.

There is an old saying in the music world. A good musician knows when to play, but a great musician knows when not to play.

Trust me, us mods will be very thankful for that little bit of self policing.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I deleted several posts that strayed into Politics. I felt this issue was important to support the USCG and have let it ride.

Politics are not allowed in the forum and any discussions as such will be nuked. Please keep this thread alive by staying away from the political side of this issue.

May 28, 2015
Number of TSA personnel: 57,000
Number of border security personnel: 62,000.
Number of active duty CG personnel: 40,000. (I used to be one)

I note these numbers, all of whom are affected by the partial shutdown, to put into perspective how they are all working without pay. I know we have a boating focus here, however, let's not ignore how literally millions of peoples' lives, safety and security are in the hands of the two former agencies as well as many others besides the CG.
Don:
As the OP, the only reason I did not include information on TSA or Boarder Security is that I am not personally aware of the issues with those services. There was never an intent to ignore, only an intent to advocate for that which I knew factually and directly. I hope you understand.

May 28, 2015
I deleted several posts that strayed into Politics. I felt this issue was important to support the USCG and have let it ride.

Politics are not allowed in the forum and any discussions as such will be nuked. Please keep this thread alive by staying away from the political side of this issue.
Scott, I just edited a post that inadvertently clipped information I meant for another location. I apologize if you saw it for a moment. it should be fixed now.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
This non partisan, neutral.
"Co equal" is the most overused, incorrect term that have seen lately, They are not CO equal (for example, the Supreme Court trumps the other two.) They are checks and balances, not CO equal.

If the founders saw today what this has come to, they wouldn't turn over in their graves, they would revolt and take back their experiment.