Clutch Throttle Control Retrofit

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Brown

Pedestal Controls

I've got an 82 with toe controlled throttle and forward/reverse. I'd like to move my controls to the pedestal with the edson kit. It looks extremely smple. Then I Started to think. The Pedestal Exit Hole is under the small slanted cover on the port side of the rear double. How do you route the cables from the bottom of the pedestal? A big loop to the back or to the side? What would protect the cable from being caught and yanked on? How tight a curve can the cable get? I've built a mahogany bulkhead in the berth to divide it in two (the lower ceilinged part was useless anyways). I use it to store 4 or 5 rubbermaids and I don't want to catch the cables with them.

R

Ron

Moving Controls

Dave. Check out Edson web site http://www.edsonmarine.com/FAQ/eb92316.html This will tell you exactly how to do what your asking about. General rule of thumb is that you can bend cables in a 3 foot diamater. Some cables will bend in half that area and not be harmed. My cables come out of the pedistal cover and go to the stern through the inspection hatch for the rudder post. They then turn towards the bow and run down under the sub floor, past the fuel tank next to the prop shaft and enter into the engine room. The clutch cable runs right to the trans and the throttle cable run down the port side and around the front of the engine. See my previous 2 posts with pictures. Good luck with it, it's not really a bad job and I really enjoy the controls on the pedistal. Cheers, Ron S/V Seascape

Jun 7, 2004
- - MB/SD
Follow up

Turns out: I choose to leave the both throttle and clutch control mounted as manufactured. For those of you interested in moving the throttle and clutch controls up to the pedestal: 1. Make sure you have a Edson make Pedestal. (If so, Edson makes a kit for this project.)If it's not Edson... you're on you own... 2. Look for the panel covering the pedestal mounting bolts (underside the cockpit deck). You'll need the panel to cover the cables once you've run the cables in a GIANT loop down from the levers through the pedestal cylinder, BACK the stern, then DOWN UNDER the QBerth, and FORWARD to the engine and trans. Someone said the cables should need to be 'bout 16 feet long. ~ YOu'll need to measure the distance for your individual projects yourselves. Most importantly, check to assure you have room in the pedestal cylinder to run the cables. It turns out, I had no cover panel or room to run cables so left the project for another season. Yeah, yeah I know, I was likely wearing my wifes shirt when I made the decison... but Gramps said to choose your battles. This one will have to wait. Jax

Jun 7, 2004
- - MB/SD
Follow up

Turns out: I choose to leave the both throttle and clutch control mounted as manufactured. For those of you interested in moving the throttle and clutch controls up to the pedestal: 1. Make sure you have a Edson make Pedestal. (If so, Edson makes a kit for this project.)If it's not Edson... you're on you own... 2. Look for the panel covering the pedestal mounting bolts (underside the cockpit deck). You'll need the panel to cover the cables once you've run the cables in a GIANT loop down from the levers through the pedestal cylinder, BACK the stern, then DOWN UNDER the QBerth, and FORWARD to the engine and trans. Someone said the cables should need to be 'bout 16 feet long. ~ YOu'll need to measure the distance for your individual projects yourselves. Most importantly, check to assure you have room in the pedestal cylinder to run the cables. It turns out, I had no cover panel or room to run cables so left the project for another season. Yeah, yeah I know, I was likely wearing my wifes shirt when I made the decison... but Gramps said to choose your battles. This one will have to wait. Jax

Status
Not open for further replies.