Close cross

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
We had a race last night in 12-16 knots of breeze. On our second upwind we had to take the transom of a J/27. We timed it perfectly... Maybe TOO perfectly for some of the crew members on the rail who looked very alarmed as we passed within 3 feet of their transom. Their skipper and I just smiled and waved.

Luckily our club photographer was out and caught it. Nice memento of a winning race!

close cross.jpg

Anyone else have pics of close crosses??

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Nice shot by the club photog! The telephoto lens makes it look even closer!

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
When I saw the picture, I thought "glad somebody likes that", as in, no way baby. When I saw the video, I thought "man, that's really cool, and they are not all that close, with plenty of room to move to starboard as needed". Interesting dichotomy. Thanks for posting it, Clay.

Nov 8, 2010
I figure we crossed 3-5 feet behind him. I lined it up pretty well, and the MT had eased to match me. If I thought I needed more to turn down, he was ready.

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
Awesome! I need to show the photo and video to my wife. She thinks I get far to close when I duck under and I'm no where near THAT close.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Cool. You were in total control. Sometimes I'd rather be the ducker than the starboard tacker waiting to see what will happen. It can be a distraction for the driver to watch a port tacker. Take the duck. Little loss especially if you like that side of the course.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Just remember that this is racing. In the real world, the other guy does not see you or understand stand on/give way. He'll do something dumb at the last moment. Folks hit sea buoys, for heaven's sake.

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
Nice! I love the close duck, people freak out when tons of sailboat pass within feet of one another.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
The nice thing about losing the cup is winning it back. (or so I've heard.)

All U Get

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
We've had a lot of cool, close crosses racing this year as the starboard and port tacker, but we've also had too many like this photo from last month with a lot of yelling and hand gesturing.

IMG_5655 (2) (1024x683).jpg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Nice pics and video. I love yacht racing, but have only been in one race, probably 30 years ago. Not much of it going on in my harbor, that I know of, but lots of it all around us!

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Bill19233 - that is an awesome photo like jackdaw's, but yours just plain irritates me! Maybe bring a megaphone on board so you can yell "starboard... Is that allowed??? haha

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
We've had a lot of cool, close crosses racing this year as the starboard and port tacker, but we've also had too many like this photo from last month with a lot of yelling and hand gesturing.

View attachment 140038
Truly frightening.

Help me guess...they weren't racing? And even if YOU were cruising, they still had NO clue...sheez...glad you survived.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Truly frightening.

Help me guess...they weren't racing? And even if YOU were cruising, they still had NO clue...sheez...glad you survived.
The photo may be a little misleading because of the zoom lens on the DSLR, we ducked and cleared them by at least a boat length. We were both racing in different classes in the same race.
Jackdaw asked for pics of close crosses, if it's not hijacking the thread, here's a few more on a video, including the one in the photo. All but one are from 2017 races and all the boats in the clips are racing. The 160 degree field of view on the action camera shots makes the crossings appear not near as close as they actually were.

Nov 8, 2010
Bill, I'm not sure you could have hit anyone one of those if you TRIED... ;^)

Great vids however!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Guys, It is racing. It is about deciding you can make it and making it. You win. Miss it, you get DQ'd and you have to pay the damage. That is what draws the best to the experience. The only thing that bothered me when I raced was to be racing against novice folk at the start line.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The photo may be a little misleading because of the zoom lens on the DSLR, we ducked and cleared them by at least a boat length. We were both racing in different classes in the same race.
Good point about photo compression. I was just noting the port/starboard tack positions.