Clogged Sanitation Hose

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I'd be beating the hose with a hammer. I changed out my hoses because they smelled and beating with a hammer didn't help with the odor. One particular hose went behind the woodwork with no access so I got a plastic union fitting and connected the new to the old without any clamps to get hung up. Then I pushed the hose slowly while my wife gingerly coaxed the other end out of the 2 inch hole. Hope yours work out better.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Peggie and I have been discussing this for a few days and will continue when I’m back in town. Talking Muriatic acid as a treatment but not as a preventitive..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I do not know. Stink is stink. And a blocked hose has to stink.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
On my H356 the run from the toilet to the holding tank had a dip in it as it ran aft in under the aft bunk. I calculated from the hose diameter and length that it would take a gallon of flushing to clear the hose - and that's based on the optimistic assumption that the hose is cleared without any mixing of the flush with the hose contents. So from a forward head, to the aft holding tank that most the Hunters have, I would think it would take 2 -3 gallons to clear the hose. Not to mention that the hose probably runs in the bilge, and each end is higher than the middle. Once you get that hose clear I would make sure you are putting a lot of clean water flush thru that hose whenever you leave the boat or go #2. The best thing I think you can do for head odor is keep flushing. With a clear vent the flushing replaces swamp gas with oxygen. It is the weekdays, for the way many of us use our boats, that cause the odor problems. I also get pump outs ASAP. We're lucky here we have a pump out boat. So on Sunday afternoon I often get the pump out, even if the holding tank is only lightly used. I get pump out as often as I can.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The best thing I think you can do for head odor is keep flushing. With a clear vent the flushing replaces swamp gas with oxygen. It is the weekdays, for the way many of us use our boats, that cause the odor problems.
Flushing only pushes air OUT the vent, doesn't bring any oxygen in...that requires an open vent thru-hull that actually permits an exchange of air with the gasses in the tank passively. It also helps to have a larger diameter vent line. The right type of tank product also matters. Chemicals only kill off bacteria that's already created odor and exhaust themselves pretty quickly, but there are products that keep working all the time....Raritan K.O. (live aerobic bacteria), Odorlos (active ingredient is nitrates that promote oxygen release from organic matter) and one that's getting rave reviews, No-Flex Digestor. Its ingredients are a proprietary formula.
"Upgrading" the vent line is actually pretty easy thanks to li'l doodad called the Uniseal UNISEAL

All the details are in my book, along with a lot more useful information (see link in my signature below)...
--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Peggie Hall HeadMistress Looking at the Uniseal product. It is used to connect the vent hose to the tank. Do you use it in other places? It looks to me that you want a thru-hull fitting when making the connection through the hull? Or do you suggest the Uniseal can be used there as well.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It is used to connect the vent hose to the tank.
Right. About a 6" piece of PVC that has a 1" OD (OUTER diameter) becomes the hose fitting for a 1" vent line (hose sizes are always stated by their ID)... can be a straight piece of pipe or an elbow plumbing fitting. Lube it with a little dishwashing liquid to slip it into the Uniseal. Swap out the vent thru-hull for an open 1" bulkhead thru-hull (see photo) which will only require making the hole in the hole a little larger and you're done. Thru-hull can be any material except nylon...UV will turn nylon into powder.

Another major advantage to the open thru-hull is that you can stick hose nozzle against it and backflush the vent line every time you wash the boat, which will prevent vent line blockages.
plastic-thru-hull-fitting.jpg

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Grr. This so called un-chloric acid stuff has been stewing in both ends of the sanitation hose for two weeks. This last and fourth application was double the concentration. Did it work? Nope, nada, zip. Tried breaking through the clog again with a steel snake. Nope!

My next step is to remove the hose and break it up with a hammer on the dock. Tried doing it while on the boat with a long oak stick and a mallet; I could feel it crunching, but alas no worky. Stubborn stuff.

I intend to let the maker of this chemical blend know just how well their miracle product worked. I'm sure they will be pleased with my report.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I think it's come down to, replace the hose. You've already spent a good percentage of the price of a new section of hose...the next product you try will likely take the total cost over the top.
--Peggie

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Grr. This so called un-chloric acid stuff has been stewing in both ends of the sanitation hose for two weeks. This last and fourth application was double the concentration. Did it work? Nope, nada, zip. Tried breaking through the clog again with a steel snake. Nope!

My next step is to remove the hose and break it up with a hammer on the dock. Tried doing it while on the boat with a long oak stick and a mallet; I could feel it crunching, but alas no worky. Stubborn stuff.

I intend to let the maker of this chemical blend know just how well their miracle product worked. I'm sure they will be pleased with my report.
How long is the hose? I think at this point, I would be replacing the hose unless it is impossible to get to.

Greg

Dec 25, 2000
I think it's come down to, replace the hose. You've already spent a good percentage of the price of a new section of hose...the next product you try will likely take the total cost over the top.
--Peggie
Hi Peggie, as usual I think you hit the nail on the head. No out of pocket necessary to break up the deposit with a hammer. But it is a 1991 hose that has served us well up to this point. I hope they still make the hose in a 1- 3/8 inch OSD, and a 1" ISD dimension.

Dec 25, 2000
How long is the hose? I think at this point, I would be replacing the hose unless it is impossible to get to.

Greg
Hi Greg, pretty easy to get to from the tank end. Mostly a straight run to the aft head, which is about eight feet. Should be able to fish it through using a suture to connect the new to the old and pull it through. I'm sure easier said than done.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...you can stick hose nozzle against it and backflush the vent line every time you wash the boat, which will prevent vent line blockages....
If you can get a bigger thruhull to fit the hose filling nozzle INTO it, you don't get messy water sprayed all around. Thrust me. Or, get a 1-foot piece of cut off hose to add to the end of your hose and you can fit into a thru hull.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You need the pressure that a nozzle provides to wash anything that's tried to set up housekeeping in the vent line into the tank. The spray from a good quality nozzle can be narrowed down enough to go into the thru-hull unless your aim is so bad you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn even if you were standing inside the barn...in which case, you might want to wear a foulie jacket.:wink:
--Peggie