Clipper Race fiasco

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
In the Volvo race thread we discussed the Clipper 'pay-to-play' race. Here's a beauty. Less than 10 miles from the start of the Cape Town leg, in broad daylight, one of the boats was sailed straight into the shore. Boat's a loss.

IMG_0503.jpg

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
Unfortunately stuff like this is not limited to the pay-to-play world. The p[ros on Team Vestas managed it as well in th elast VOR.

Nov 8, 2010
Unfortunately stuff like this is not limited to the pay-to-play world. The p[ros on Team Vestas managed it as well in th elast VOR.
For sure, well documented. But at least that was in the middle of the night, in the middle of the ocean, on a shoaling they knew was there but not that shoal. This was in daylight less then10 miles from the port they just left.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
WTF?? how is that even possible without trying? or were they Russians posing as sailors to interfere with the race results? ;)

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Out in the middle of the ocean there are reefs. Some charts show them a few miles away from where they really are. Some sailors just do not understand how to read some of the newer electronic charts and some so called experienced sailors don't even know they are missing detail electronic charts. Every year a few boats run into a reef in the Pacific. Some are salvaged but most are a total loss.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Out in the middle of the ocean there are reefs. Some charts show them a few miles away from where they really are. Some sailors just do not understand how to read some of the newer electronic charts and some so called experienced sailors don't even know they are missing detail electronic charts. Every year a few boats run into a reef in the Pacific. Some are salvaged but most are a total loss.
But how many run into large islands in the middle of the day every year? :doh:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Greenings, from what I read, had an interim captain and crew and the event happened after 11pm local time.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Pretty remarkable. It will be interesting to read the MAIB report once complete.

Nov 8, 2010
Greenings, from what I read, had an interim captain and crew and the event happened after 11pm local time.
The Clipper boats always have professional skippers. They replaced the first with a 2nd after an injury. You're right about the time, I saw 2140 and thought that was local. Still light in Cape Town town at that time of day.

Nov 8, 2010
Image of the track just after rounding the point and leaving Cape Town.. on their way to Cape Point, the actual tip of Africa.

Race_Viewer_Greenings.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
After reading about the Vestas disaster, it's far less surprising that they don't leave more seaway between them and a known or suspected obstacle. For a round the world sailboat race, they are mighty close together. It seems shaving seconds off can really make a difference.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
This is why I like Simrad's (Navico) forward scanning sonar... At least I like the concept, I have not used it myself. Drawback is, especially for racers, depending on your speed, feedback time, accuracy etc; you may detect the shoal water or an obstacle but not have enough time to react. I'd like to see some real world testing on runs toward a known reef at various speeds.
I wasn't a sonar expert in the Navy by any means, but from what I do know there is a myriad of issues that can effect the outcome and accuracy of a ping response; obviously depth, water temp, sea state, etc... but all those things have to be put together by software for a reliable image. Therein lies the question, at a given speed can you get an accurate enough picture within enough time to take action?

Nov 8, 2010
After reading about the Vestas disaster, it's far less surprising that they don't leave more seaway between them and a known or suspected obstacle. For a round the world sailboat race, they are mighty close together. It seems shaving seconds off can really make a difference.
- Will (Dragonfly)
That's really not the issue... based on how they used their gear, they didn't 'see' the shoal.

I ran Product Planning at Magellan GPS during the time we created some of the first marine GPS/mapping devices. We (and others) pondered deeply the issue of how to not display all detail as the user zoomed out; called 'decluttering' in the business. This is needed because if you did not declutter, soon the entire screen would be 'black' with detail that was not relevant at that zoom level. But how much and when, and where?

The Vestas accident happened because they got it wrong... a combination of user actions and the Expedition navigation software/C-map cartography did not show the shoal at the zoom levels the navigator chose to 'spy' the route; after a tactical decision to change from what they thought they were going to do early in the day.

So they end up on the bricks.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
With all the smart tech being developed for cars to drive themselves, Google global mapping, gps and satellite imaging, a shoal anywhere in the world could potentially be warned about in nano-seconds. That, of course, doesn't mean it is available or being used now.
The tracking systems being used are first rate, the auto-vicinity alarm systems are not there yet.
Since all this tech is relatively new and racers have been not running aground for centuries before now, I'm interested in reading about why Greenings ran aground. It looks like all navigation, today, takes place below deck. Maybe this is a wake-up call to poke your head outside once in a while.
-Will (Dragonfly)