Climbing the mast. I HAVE A PROBLEM!

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
ok here is my dilemma; just arrived in MI for the summer sailing season. In prepping our 356 on the hard we found that both tracers for the main and forsail were severed in the harsh winter. The little flimsy topping lift is still in. There never was a spinnaker. So I have been up my mast a zillion times in the past using one or other of the halyards. It seems like pulling my mast is all we can do. The yard I’m at does not have a crane with enough lift to put a person at the mast head. So I would rather do anything than pull my mast and mess with all the rigging and electrical. I’m game for any reasonable options. Can any of you sailors sent your ideas my way? Thanks so much

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
I don’t have an alternative! But pulling the mast is not that hard. Get a couple of helpers, and you should be able to take it down, rig your lines, and put it back up in a few hours. The best way would be to find someone who has done it before to help you. Or help someone else drop theirs in return for helping you. The Admiral and I used to drop our mast every year, so one more would let you control the increased weight of your mast.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I always thought this was a good application for a drone. Maybe there's a radio control/drone club somewhere nearby.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
My guess is that your topping lift is strong enough for you to hang on. If you don't trust the line, but you do trust the mast head sheave, then you can use the topping lift line as a leader to hoist a stronger climbing rope. When you are done, just pull the topping lift back up with your climbing rope.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I have helped pull a mast by placing the boat between two boats and using their halyards to lift it out.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
If you can find a beach in a calm cove, you can careen the boat: arrive at high tide, let the tide go out, and haul the mast down with the topping lift. I know, it's a bit crazy.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Pulling a mast is a real effort, and then there is the issue with all the cables inside. If there is not problem now that won't guarantee they won't be screwed up when the mast is re-stepped. Things like pinched wires, water leaks (if the drip loop doesn't get installed properly), etc. If it ain't broke, don't fix it and messing with the mast creates a good opportunity for stuff to go awry.
Question: do the halyards still have a shackle on them?
I use a pair of ascenders to go up a climbing rope attached to the main halyard. Without having a main halyard then if one can get a climbing rope over the top spreader then use it to get that far up. Then try snagging the jib halyard shackle using a long pole with a hook. To get the climbing rope over the spreader, use a monkey fist on a small teather then pull the climbing rope up and over.
With the Jib halyard down, one can use it and the long pole to snag the main halyard shackle. For a lightweight pole, maybe a section of 1/2" conduit? Smash the end and install a hook from the hardware store. Sailors can figure something out.
A store that sells climbing gear should be able to help you out. And, if they're really helpful, maybe suggest someone to do it for you???
I'd really, really hate to have to pull the mast.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Rent a JLG or man lift that has a boom that high. Alternatively if you know someone or a company willing to “rent out” an operated bucket truck that can reach your height.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Good grief, this is not that complicated. The mast is still there. Make three slings from 1-inch climbing. They need to be long enough to be wrapped around the mast and tied in a prusik hitch. Use these as you would the ascenders on a rope climbing system (one for your feet, one to the harness). The reason you need three is to pass the spreaders.

Not a theory. I've done this. It is time consuming and a little physical, but not at all dangerous. Each one need to be set snugly before moving up on it. Yes, they can slide, but they will do so only very slowly and the topping lift is a safety. Someone hauling on the TL will make it easier. So get on up there.

Not a big deal. Next year you will forget this "penny wise" tracer business and just leave the halyards up. If you consider the value of your time (up and down and hauling home), even when nothing goes wrong, for the little bit of life this adds, is it really worth it? Of course not.
---
Note: this is also useful for climbing to the top of a fractionally rigged boat, where often there is only one usable halyard (many have no TL) and it may not be trustworthy.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Are the halyards at the top of the mast or did you pull them out for the winter?

I once had a friend accidentally pull the main halyard out just after stepping the mast on my San Juan 7.7m. We were at a loss as how to fix it without undoing all our hard work that we had just completed. One of the marina owners came by when we were away and tried to reinstall the halyard using a bucket truck. He said it wasn't possible without dropping the mast, I appreciate his help but I wasn't ready to give up. I remembered a magazine article at suggested taping a bicycle chain to the halyard and it dropping down the mast. That worked. We fished it out the bottom with a magnet. I had a good friend that climbed the mast for me, thanks David.

Good luck!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Stitch a suitable rope/halyard to the TL and pull it through. Restore the TL when you are done. My TL is a spare halyard.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
It could be that the toping lift is not run through a sheave, but fixed rigidly at the mast head, and adjusted at the boom end. Only the O.P. can say for sure.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
I had to retrieve my jib halyard one Spring (don't ask) and brought the boat alongside a tall bulkhead, then used the main halyard to heel it over to where I could reach the mast top on a ladder. Looked and felt stupid, but it worked.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
If you can find a beach in a calm cove, you can careen the boat: arrive at high tide, let the tide go out, and haul the mast down with the topping lift. I know, it's a bit crazy.
We don’t have tides in Michigan.

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
Would the local fire department have a ladder truck you could rent? Or as someone else suggested a man lift?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I like the run a new line for the topping lift approach, but at the end of the day you are going up on one line.

Cherry picker is a good idea.

On the water, you could ask a buddy with a similar size rig to send someone up and then carefully pull the mastheads together. Take some organization and a very calm day, but very doable.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Tree service with a bucket truck if there is an area you can park the boat where they can get close enough.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If you can find a beach in a calm cove, you can careen the boat...
Not likely for a 356. Most have wings on the keel. Also on my 356 the topping lift went over a sheave and down the mast and out an exit block to a cleat. I'd say a bucket truck is #1 (I don't get why most boatyards don't have one), and #2, replace that TL with a new line suitable to take you up. Don't go up on the old one. You have no idea of its condition.
Taking the mast down has some risks but the diagonals stay put so they don't have to change. You have the fore and back stays, the cap shroud, and a lower diagonal, and the struts. All the wiring goes to a bus bar so that shouldn't get too messed up. Label everything. If the mast is down replace your windex, anemometer sender, check and lubricate your sheaves, check radio antennae and put a LCD light up there.