Clever idea.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
A couple of guys helped me reattach my rudder with the boat in the water. They laughed when I pulled out the umbrella. Just before dropping an expensive stainless steel pin one of them laughed and said he wouldn’t drop it. He’s a believer now.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
...and the lanyard attached to the drill cord to keep it above sea level

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Old or young, they look experienced and like they know what they are doing.

Just before dropping an expensive stainless steel pin one of them laughed and said he wouldn’t drop it.
:laugh: That reminds me so much of when my son was little. He'd grab something fragile to carry and we'd admonish him to be careful, that if he ran he might drop it. He'd complain about the admonishment and say he wouldn't drop it, then he'd drop it. Happened every time.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I watched my rigger get down on the foredeck to tighten a block for the furler lead. He had grabbed a couple of sockets. I offered to hold something. “No need.”
You know what happened next. One of the sockets leaped out of his hand. Hit the deck and did a perfect swan dive into the water. We looked at each other and slowly smiled. No words were needed.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Is that the way fortune telling works?
Ah yes, the self fulfilling prophesy.
You know, there was an old superstition among sailors that they wouldn't learn to swim. It was believed that to prepare for disaster was to invite disaster and learning to swim was preparing for disaster.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
That's GREAT! I Hate to get splashed when I'm working on the bow!

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I've got very large nets on my boat, and chances are at least 50% if I drop a part while standing at the mast that part is still going to swim :(

But I do like the umbrella (with towel) idea.

Last edited: