Cleats

Rleiby

Jun 14, 2014
Hunter 30 Pultneyville,NY
I have a 1993 Hunter 30t. How are the bow cleats fastened? I know - by cleat lags/ screws . How do you tighten them? Looks like one screw needs a quarter turn and the other and 1/8 turn to be snug.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
How do you tighten them? Looks like one screw needs a quarter turn and the other and 1/8 turn to be snug
With a screwdriver ? Righty tighty, lefty loosey ;).

But seriously, I'm pretty sure that even as far back as 1993, Hunter used a 3/8" aluminum plate embedded in the fiberglass, directly beneath the intended location of the attaching machine screws. The FG and aluminum plate was then drilled to a size slightly smaller than the machine screw and the screw was then screwed into the aluminum, cutting its own threads as it went.

Great idea except that I've found that the SS screws gall into the aluminum after a number of years. Then it becomes a real bugger :banghead:.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
If the base plate is galled or the screw is stripped of some final threads and won’t snug up, you may want to consider slightly oversized stainless steel self drilling/tapping screws. A handy man’s best friends.