Cleanup on aisle three ...

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Ugh. This is what I found under the galley, below where the sink and icebox were.

Before I even start ... any suggestions? Bleach? Acetone? Gasoline and a match??

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
A little scrub-down with a light bleach solution followed by a good application of Concrobium or equivalent.. or the Practical Sailor recipe that member Thinwater tested.. I think the recipe was posted in here somewhere..

Sep 30, 2013
Hmm! I do have some Wet-n-Forget on hand, it's like Concrobium ....

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Ugly. I used Formula B from the Practical Sailor article on my boat. Works well.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
And once this is cleaned up, it will time to replace that valve with a proper bronze ball valve before it fails and you have bigger problems than some mold an mildew.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
And once this is cleaned up, it will time to replace that valve with a proper bronze ball valve before it fails and you have bigger problems than some mold an mildew.
Yeah, what is that thing for?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I don’t recommend the storage of gunpowder in the bilge deck. However, nice touch adding that fire-suppressant valve to the magazine. Amyl acetate will remove nitro-cellulose residue. Safe boating!

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
What is it? Looks like some kind of insulation. Can it just come out and be replaced?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I would spray with diluted bleach first and let it sit there for a bit - maybe several applications. Bleach is an excellent disinfectant and it breaks down organic material. So you neutralize the hazards of inhaling mold, mildew, bacteria that feed on the former etc. Then I would get in there with some of the products mentioned above wearing gloves and a respiratory mask. A surgical mask is probably inadequate. All cleaning implements such as sponges, rags, paper towels go into a sealable plastic bag for disposal. Don't mess with that stuff. You don't need respiratory inflammation in your life.

Sep 30, 2013
Haha, I was wondering who would mention that valve first! :clap: @Justin_NSA, that's the sink drain. And yes, all those ancient valves are getting replaced before splash time. It's a long term project, been working on her for over two years, with at least another year to go.

Thanks everyone for the help!! When I get it as clean as it can be gotten, can I just slap some pearly-white Bilge-Kote on it? Or will it need some kind of primer? I don't know if that's paint or gelcoat under the filth, but in other (less filthy) areas I cleaned with acetone, the surface temporarily turned tacky, and some of the cream color came off on the rag. Is that a clue?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Industrial purple, from Home Depot, is a lye cleaner that does a great job where others don't. Caution though, it is caustic and a fabulous remover of varnish you'd rather not remove.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Haha, I was wondering who would mention that valve first! :clap: @Justin_NSA, that's the sink drain. And yes, all those ancient valves are getting replaced before splash time. It's a long term project, been working on her for over two years, with at least another year to go.

Thanks everyone for the help!! When I get it as clean as it can be gotten, can I just slap some pearly-white Bilge-Kote on it? Or will it need some kind of primer? I don't know if that's paint or gelcoat under the filth, but in other (less filthy) areas I cleaned with acetone, the surface temporarily turned tacky, and some of the cream color came off on the rag. Is that a clue?
Hey Gene, I would have to bet it is paint.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Mold spores need an organic substrate to grow. It won't grow or exist on bare fiberglass or gel coat (or concrete or plastic). Mold will grow on paint but it also depends on the paint. Some paints are more susceptible than others.

Of course we're looking at a picture and it isn't even obvious what we are looking at, but I don't think that looks like mold. To me, it looks more like grease and black grime. Besides, I can't think of any reason why anybody would paint over a fiberglass installation in that location. I am familiar with the problems associated with wet building substrates, but I by no means have an expertise in mold. I always call for an environmental hygienist whenever I see questionable cases of organic growth.

If you can clean it off with a cleaning agent, I'd make a strong case that it isn't mold. Mold likes to grow in a wet environment mostly on wood and paper … like in a house that has water leaks contaminating wood studs and sheetrock. It grows on the paper backing of sheetrock. It also contaminates the painted surfaces of sheetrock and you can't get it out (removing the sheetrock is the only option). Some folks will paint over it with regular latex paint (if it doesn't look too bad) and the mold then will feed on the paint and cause additional staining.

After cleaning, if you suspect mold is an issue and you want to paint, look for an anti-microbial paint.

Last edited:

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
If mold.....As others suggested, Concrobium. While bleach will kill the mold, Concrobium will both kill AND keep it from growing back, from all of the spores and filaments the bleach doesn’t destroy. But, the MOST important thing is to stop the water source. BrianW