Clean Exterior of Engine

Feb 25, 2014
Hunter Hunter 30 Lake Lanier
I have a couple minor oil leaks from the 2GM20 engine on my 1992 Hunter 30. Before looking to replace any gaskets, I would like to clean the exterior of the engine so I can better detect where the leaks start. Wanted to see if anyone has done this and what product is not to harmful.

Yes, I will need to flush this out of the bilge. As the engine is 25 years old, I suspect it could use some TLC. This is a fresh water lake boat.

Thanks

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I assume its a diesel engine... any type of strong de-greaser will work. whitewall cleaner is a good strong degreasing product, but there is also awsom, simple green and many others to choose from.... they will also work in the bilge....

BUT.. here is the problem you may encounter.... how do you get rid of the oily wastewater? Im definitely not one to judge anyone for how they clean out their boat, but just be aware that there are many others that absolutely will, and it could be expensive for you....
its best done in a yard so that the waste can be contained.

when I bought our 34, the rigging and living space of the boat was in nice condition, but the motor had been leaking oil for several years whenever it was being ran, and the engine compartment and bilge had about 1/2 inch to an inch of crud built up.... and the concretion of the build up in the bilge, which is a deep sump bilge, was reinforced with lost tools (of which there were many), pieces of wire and wire ends, zip ties, nuts bolts washers and screws, toggle switches and a few old old rags, and a pocket knife. I ended up with nearly 2 gallons of debris from the bilge and from under the engine..

after repairing the leak, which was only a missing cap from the unused mechanical tach drive (hidden behind the heat exchanger), I cleaned out the debris the best I could and then sprayed the degreaser on EVERYTHING that was dirty in the areas mentioned until it was saturated and running off... and let it set for 30 minutes and did it again. then I went to lunch.
when I got back I took the water hose with a spray nozzle and started spraying with a sharp stream of water, washing it into the bilge... the results were amazing.
I had to saturate with the degreaser again, and then later I spot sprayed to dissolve the last of it..... the engine compartment was as white and clean as the day the engine was bedded in it, the engine was red all over again, and the bilge was down to bare fiberglass without any trace of how it had been...
when I started, I was thinking I may need a trash pump to remove it all, but as my bilge pump is a high volume diaphragm pump, I had no problems... a standard rotary type pump would never have handled it.

the extreme wetness you are going to make doing it this way, which IS the most efficient way, isnt going to hurt anything if you put a fan on it with good ventilation for a couple days afterwards to dry it all out again...

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
A bucket of strong Simple Green solution, a micro-fiber rag, a kitchen handle brush will get the job done. You really do not want to be spraying corrosive cleaners on electric parts and connections. Mop out your bilge with the solution and a big sponge, dispose of the wastewater in a land-based treatment system (not in a septic system). If you have free-product petroleum you need to absorb it with a hydrophobic pads or pig and dispose separately as a solid waste.

Feb 25, 2014
Hunter Hunter 30 Lake Lanier
Sorry, been away for awhile. Will clean the exterior of the engine fist, then will begin to investigate where I am getting the leaks. No doubt, I do not have my oil filter on tight enough but will use a good mirror to review the exterior of the Yanmar 2gm20. If I do need to replace my pan gasket, are there kits or can I purchase a gasket at an automotive shop and cut to size?

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Years ago my mechanic used coke cola soda on my cars engine after an oil line split and sprayed oil on everything. It cleaned surprisingly well. Then flushed with water. I was amazed it looked like new.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
coke cola soda on my cars engine ............ It cleaned surprisingly well.
carbonic acid. Makes you wonder if you should drink that soda doesn't it.
Of course if you add rum all is good.