circuit breakers

Jeff J

Nov 8, 2017
Beneteau 331 Stockton,MO
I have a bad circuit breaker that controls my stereo and accessories. Is this most likely a 5 for 10 amp? also I opened up the back of the panel to remove it. I found that there is a bar with fins connected to each breaker that I assume is for the common or negative side. It needs to be removed to take one of the breakers in that row out. It seems to be attached very solidly. How do I remove it?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
If you can, it would help these guys by inserting a photo if you can take one.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
  1. Be careful! Just because it's DC, it doesn't mean you can't hurt yourself, or start a fire;
  2. the "bar with fins" is probably the positive distribution to the breakers, and may be un-fused to the battery - again, be careful;
  3. it's probably possible to get the breaker out without removing the bar from all breakers. Pics would help;
  4. 15A is a common breaker rating, depends on the wire its feeding.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I have one breaker for the stereo/VHF. I have a glass 5 amp for each radio behind the panel. I'd use a 10 breaker, which is what mine is. Whatever your "accessories" have would dictate what size breaker you use.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I wouldn't assume the bar is negative. If its attached to one side of the circuit breaker its positive!! The connection to the breaker is probably a #8 phillips screw (at least it is on my BlueSea panel). If i loosen up several screws either side of the breaker I'm removing I've been able to sneak the breaker out - otherwise you need to remove all those screws and move the bar out of the way. As it is a +12v you want to make sure the voltage has been turned off first --
A picture would help confirm what you have.

Les

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have removed and added breakers to the panel in my 323, but not recently. I dont recall having any problem in removing a single breaker. As Les pointed out, both sides are positive. Make sure the battery power is off or you might get zapped. The outgoing side usually has a light gauge wire attached which feeds the indicator light when the breaker is in the “on” position.

Jeff J

Nov 8, 2017
Beneteau 331 Stockton,MO
Thanks to all. Im going up to the boat Sat to take closer look. Ill send a pict if i get stuck.