Choosing the correct anchor windlass for a 34'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Hello everyone, Exploring the options of installing an anchor windlass on my 1986 - 34' and would like to know if anyone has any information or guidance that they could share on the topic. Looked on the photo forum but did not see any related articles for a 34. Thank you/

F

Fred Ficarra

I'm doing mine today (well, all this week)

I went with a Horizon 600 gypsy/drum. It is compact and matches up well with the 34. I went with the optional drum because I added a second roller for our other anchor. We almost always anchor with two. I am having a custom bracket built that the rear of the windlass will be held with, over the front of the locker. I decided not to cut out the bottom of the locker yet, even though I've made a new drain hole at the bottom of the void forward of the vberth where the inspection port is located. (I'm concerned about my 60' of chain hanging up on the lip of the cutout) I should have enough room for the chain to pile up without the added space below the anchor locker. We'll see. Anyhow, I'm just lining things up today. I'll take some snaps as I go, of course and put them either here or on my web page. The two rollers are shown there. The locker cover will be cut just aft of the windlass which will mount at deck level. Wish me luck.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
thanks

I look forward to seeing the pictures to see how it goes..can you lead me in the right direction as to whom made the rollers for you?

C

Charlie

Manual windlass

I installed a manual vertical windlass aft of the locker and it works great. Look in the archives for data on it. I am currently using someone elses computer and am not near my boat information to give you more details. The installer used a wedged shim to make the windlass level and used an aluminum backing plate. I do not like an electric windlass. I have 50 feet of chain and a 35 pound cqr anchor.

B

Bob

Charlie- any photos?

Charlie, I have a new manual windlass to install on my 86 H34. Would appreciate any photos of your installation. Bob

F

Fred Ficarra

Rick, this is custom stuff

You will have to find a welder that can duplicate the original roller and then get the stemhead fitting electo polished. The hard part will be just removing the stemhead. It took a 250 foot pound impact hammer with a half inch air line to get the front screws off. Removing the bow pulpit and holding up your mast during the job is the easy part. You would probably opt to find a similar bolt on model. It would cost MUCH less too.

Status
Not open for further replies.