Choosing a stove

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
Don't think in terms of it being a burner. It's a big chafing dish. Works wonderfully!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I used my portable Origo single burner when cooking a meal fo my best friend’s family after his father died and the power was out due to hurricane Matthew. If we ever sell our boat the Origo will not go with it.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I had an Origo 2-burner on my 28- foot Hunter. It worked and was ok, but my 32-foot O’Day came with a propane stove with oven.

I would not go back to an alcohol burner, because I like to use the oven. Propane takes a certain amount of care, but keeping the solenoid off when not in use, checking the hose periodically and keeping the tank in a correctly vented locker takes care of it for me.

Being able to bake a pizza, warm sandwiches, etc. in the oven is a huge plus for me. Makes the boat much more “homey”.

Greg

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Guys, everyone knows that a full-blown propane system will be more attractive, but thats not the point of the question. No one installs systems like that on a Catalina 22.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
I agree Jackdaw, easier to mount a mast and sails on a full propane oven combo and take it out sailing.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Hmmm. Most people are removing their alcohol stoves. Ours is in the garage. The PO replaced it with a convection oven since they only cooked in the slip. I'm holding onto the stove for resale value.
I am looking for Origo parts. Would you like to get yours out of the garage?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I had an Origo 2-burner on my 28- foot Hunter. It worked and was ok, but my 32-foot O’Day came with a propane stove with oven.

I would not go back to an alcohol burner, because I like to use the oven. Propane takes a certain amount of care, but keeping the solenoid off when not in use, checking the hose periodically and keeping the tank in a correctly vented locker takes care of it for me.

Being able to bake a pizza, warm sandwiches, etc. in the oven is a huge plus for me. Makes the boat much more “homey”.

Greg
Keep in mind this is a Catalina 22 sub forum, and a propane oven on a 22 would be utterly pointless.

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
Keep in mind this is a Catalina 22 sub forum, and a propane oven on a 22 would be utterly pointless.
I disagree, but just like anything else, you need to scale it down a bit for the 22. Obviously the stove/oven combo that came with his 36 would be ridiculous on a 22, but that doesn't mean that an oven isn't a possibility. I have been using one of these for 40 years on camping trips. Works fantastic for baking biscuits, cinnamon rolls, cookies, cakes, corn bread, pizzas, etc. It only weighs a couple of pounds and folds flat to 12"x 12" x 1.5"

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000...14954619&sr=8-1&keywords=coleman+folding+oven

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I disagree, but just like anything else, you need to scale it down a bit for the 22. Obviously the stove/oven combo that came with his 36 would be ridiculous on a 22, but that doesn't mean that an oven isn't a possibility. I have been using one of these for 40 years on camping trips. Works fantastic for baking biscuits, cinnamon rolls, cookies, cakes, corn bread, pizzas, etc. It only weighs a couple of pounds and folds flat to 12"x 12" x 1.5"

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000...14954619&sr=8-1&keywords=coleman+folding+oven
Sorta agree. Though... that coleman unit is not a "propane oven" like I mentions, it is a metal box you stick on top of a stove.

Interesting idea. If you custom made one with a support to stabilize on a Origo, it would make for some luxury trips, espescially for those who few who spend more than a week out in a C22.
I'd love fresh bread or a pizza :D

Then again, my point was.
I am inlined to agree with @CaptDon01 's recent complaints. People posting stuff that only applies to a boat that is much bigger, in a trailerable sailboat sub-forum is goofy. It's happens by accident of course. I've done it myself. but it sure doesn't contribute to the discussion at hand.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014

[UR]https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000...14954619&sr=8-1&keywords=coleman+folding+oven[/URL]
I have one of these as well. Have yet to use it on the boat, but for camping, we have made Garlic bread several times in it, and once you get the temp correct, It works great.

I have also used one of these Coleman camp stove toaster

You have to keep a close eye on it to avoid burning your toast

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I have also used one of these Coleman camp stove toaster
When you say have used one... do you mean you used it on the boat ?
If so how did you secure it ? I've been looking at ours, thinking along that line, but was concerned about it moving around on the smaller origo burner supports.

I tried it on our Kuuma BBQ but the lid of the BBQ gets in the way of having it correctly centered over the heat.
I may end up buying some metal rod and welding up some kinda holder/mount this summer.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
When you say have used one... do you mean you used it on the boat ?
If so how did you secure it ? I've been looking at ours, thinking along that line, but was concerned about it moving around on the smaller origo burner supports.

I tried it on our Kuuma BBQ but the lid of the BBQ gets in the way of having it correctly centered over the heat.
I may end up buying some metal rod and welding up some kinda holder/mount this summer.
I would not use it under sail, as the pot retainers will not secure it, but at anchor in calm seas , it works good.