Registered users don't see ads

Choosing a stove

Discussion in 'Catalina 22' started by jhogle, Mar 30, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Alan Gomes

Alan Gomes

Joined Nov 22, 2011
    546 posts, 65 likes
    Ericson 26-2
    US San Pedro, CA
    Yup.

2. T_Cat

T_Cat

Joined Aug 8, 2014
    290 posts, 50 likes
    Catalina 22 1987 New Design. Hull #14133 "LadyHawke"
    US Modesto CA Modesto CA
    Don't think in terms of it being a burner. It's a big chafing dish. Works wonderfully!

3. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    3,857 posts, 1,017 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Sumter, SC Lake Murray Sailing Club, SC
    I used my portable Origo single burner when cooking a meal fo my best friend’s family after his father died and the power was out due to hurricane Matthew. If we ever sell our boat the Origo will not go with it.

greg_m and Leeward Rail like this.
  4. Tally Ho

Tally Ho

Joined Jan 7, 2011
    846 posts, 84 likes
    Oday 322
    US East Chicago, IN
    I had an Origo 2-burner on my 28- foot Hunter. It worked and was ok, but my 32-foot O’Day came with a propane stove with oven.

I would not go back to an alcohol burner, because I like to use the oven. Propane takes a certain amount of care, but keeping the solenoid off when not in use, checking the hose periodically and keeping the tank in a correctly vented locker takes care of it for me.

Being able to bake a pizza, warm sandwiches, etc. in the oven is a huge plus for me. Makes the boat much more “homey”.

Greg

5. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    7,753 posts, 1,463 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    Guys, everyone knows that a full-blown propane system will be more attractive, but thats not the point of the question. No one installs systems like that on a Catalina 22.

Leeward Rail and Gene Neill like this.
  6. Jacktar

Jacktar

Joined Sep 14, 2014
    474 posts, 139 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Pensacola, Florida
    I agree Jackdaw, easier to mount a mast and sails on a full propane oven combo and take it out sailing.

7. pateco

pateco

Joined Aug 12, 2014
    1,521 posts, 264 likes
    Hunter 31 (1983)
    US Pompano Beach FL
    I am looking for Origo parts. Would you like to get yours out of the garage?

8. Leeward Rail

Leeward Rail

Joined Mar 20, 2015
    1,219 posts, 184 likes
    Catalina 22 New Style
    CA Lake of the Woods
    Keep in mind this is a Catalina 22 sub forum, and a propane oven on a 22 would be utterly pointless.

Gene Neill likes this.
  9. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    4,071 posts, 460 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Cheney, KS
    I'd really like to reinstall it. I almost have the wife convinced.

pateco likes this.
  10. Jacomo Sailor

Jacomo Sailor

Joined Feb 11, 2015
    138 posts, 31 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Lake Jacomo
    I disagree, but just like anything else, you need to scale it down a bit for the 22. Obviously the stove/oven combo that came with his 36 would be ridiculous on a 22, but that doesn't mean that an oven isn't a possibility. I have been using one of these for 40 years on camping trips. Works fantastic for baking biscuits, cinnamon rolls, cookies, cakes, corn bread, pizzas, etc. It only weighs a couple of pounds and folds flat to 12"x 12" x 1.5"

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000...14954619&sr=8-1&keywords=coleman+folding+oven

11. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    3,857 posts, 1,017 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Sumter, SC Lake Murray Sailing Club, SC
    There’s always this!

Attached Files:

Richie50 likes this.
  12. Leeward Rail

Leeward Rail

Joined Mar 20, 2015
    1,219 posts, 184 likes
    Catalina 22 New Style
    CA Lake of the Woods
    Sorta agree. Though... that coleman unit is not a "propane oven" like I mentions, it is a metal box you stick on top of a stove.

Interesting idea. If you custom made one with a support to stabilize on a Origo, it would make for some luxury trips, espescially for those who few who spend more than a week out in a C22.
    I'd love fresh bread or a pizza :D

Then again, my point was.
    I am inlined to agree with @CaptDon01 's recent complaints. People posting stuff that only applies to a boat that is much bigger, in a trailerable sailboat sub-forum is goofy. It's happens by accident of course. I've done it myself. but it sure doesn't contribute to the discussion at hand.

13. pateco

pateco

Joined Aug 12, 2014
    1,521 posts, 264 likes
    Hunter 31 (1983)
    US Pompano Beach FL
    I have one of these as well. Have yet to use it on the boat, but for camping, we have made Garlic bread several times in it, and once you get the temp correct, It works great.

I have also used one of these Coleman camp stove toaster

You have to keep a close eye on it to avoid burning your toast

Leeward Rail likes this.
  14. Leeward Rail

Leeward Rail

Joined Mar 20, 2015
    1,219 posts, 184 likes
    Catalina 22 New Style
    CA Lake of the Woods
    When you say have used one... do you mean you used it on the boat ?
    If so how did you secure it ? I've been looking at ours, thinking along that line, but was concerned about it moving around on the smaller origo burner supports.

I tried it on our Kuuma BBQ but the lid of the BBQ gets in the way of having it correctly centered over the heat.
    I may end up buying some metal rod and welding up some kinda holder/mount this summer.

15. pateco

pateco

Joined Aug 12, 2014
    1,521 posts, 264 likes
    Hunter 31 (1983)
    US Pompano Beach FL
    I would not use it under sail, as the pot retainers will not secure it, but at anchor in calm seas , it works good.

Leeward Rail likes this.

Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!