chicago mac race

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
big low in the middle of lake mi right now. big winds. forecast looks like very windy on the nose for two days. it's going to be a battle i think.

May 25, 2012
sure is blustery on the lake today. the gales of july. on the nose

May 25, 2012
i have friends crewing on 'liquid lounge', a j109. and 'misty' a j111. good day for a fresh set of henri lloyds. old rain gear with the worn crotch ain't going to work on this race.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Jon. Wind speeds of 22 knots... Man it is just getting to be SPORTY..:biggrin: Bet they have full sails out and are plotting their tacks while the bow is slicing through the 4-6ft chop...

I am reminded of Lt Dan and the storm... (close your ears he is a bit blasphemous in his salty rant...)

May 25, 2012
well, that weather is along the shore, out in the middle it will be amplified. 25 to 30, couple of puffs to 40, 8' to 12' lake waves. it is going to wind up this afternoon and all night long.
my friends all workout daily, all year long. just moving around the boat will be tough for the unprepared.
smoked oysters on a chip anyone?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I was hoping that someone would post a "Spot" or a link to the official race tracker..
EDIT: .. ahh got it https://cf.yb.tl/chicagomack2018
EDIT2: Very cool to be able to toggle Windy on to see the low and its winds ..

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
it's funny to me that the first boat to retire from the cruising class that started yesterday is named "time out"

May 25, 2012
WOW WOW WOW! a four barrel raft can sail down wind. any one can sail a reach even very low skill skippers. BUT beating to weather with a long open fetch in brisk winds while trying to out preform all others AIN'T EASY. safety, crew, gear, STRATEGY, crew again, sleeping, food, head time, crew weight, focus, spray, dryness, cheap rain gear, safety safety safety, strength, fatigue of crew and gear, oh yeah, sea sickness ...... pass the smoked oysters please.

and the race continues this morning

May 25, 2012
fun fact: as a kid at summer Y camp i learned that once your socks are 100% wet, they cannot get any wetter

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I think there are a half dozen WYC/AIS boats doing the race. This is one year I’m not sad missing it. The J/109s are probably hating life right now. Chewbacca (a former International 50 world champ) is an upwind wizard and probably a fast (not fun) boat to be on now.

May 25, 2012
still beating to weather. my buds were in first of class, but have now slipped back to third, 0.3 miles back.
the owner prolly wanted to drive.

............ that's a joke

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
My buddies on First 36.7 SoulShine are killing it in the heavy upwind conditions. 2nd OVERALL right now and just a few miles behind the lead J/111, a much faster boat. The 36.7 with her blade up is a witch upwind.

macrace.png

(Image just shows 36.7 and j/111 fleets)

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
..and a shout out to Gotta Wanta, J122 I race on Wed. 2nd in Section4. Top 20 in Mac Cup and 33rd overall, racing Mono
that race was brutal from what I understand. Looking forward to hearing reports from our boat. Must say I wasn't too sad I missed it this year

May 25, 2012
today i received a report from my friends of the race. they were on a J109. it was one word "brutal"