Chesapeake sailors, help me out quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I'm in Chesapeake City with some friends who I will have to part company with soon as they need to move south more quickly. They (6 foot draft) want to stop in Annapolis and I need to head somewhere else nearby so our plan is to meet up somewhere between here and there tomorrow so they can arrive the next day in the city early. We'd like an easy day tomorrow and anchor in the nicest and most scenic spot we can find. Nature and view important, shore support and facilities irrelevant.

Where would those of you familiar with the area go? Suggestions accepted until 0600 tomorrow (November 1)

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
probably on the sassafras river in the vicinity of marker #10 It is about 6 miles above the mouth and has ten feet or more within 200 feet of shore, good holding and very well sheltered with less that a half mile fetch in any direction. Mind the shoal in the area of grove point. Once you are past ordinary point you are sheltered from waves off the bay driven by west winds.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 46 Georgetown YB
Second for the Sassafras

Roger:

Tomorrow and tomorrow night's winds are predicted to be out of the NNW & N @ 9 kts with higher gusts to 21. That pretty much rules out Still Pond or Worton Creek due to the fetch in those directions. And from Chesapeake City you would be hard pressed to make it to the Magothy River down by the Bay Bridge.

So, as Ross says, the Sassafras would be good. Last Friday night I went from Georgetown Yacht Basin on the Sassafras to Summit North Marina on the C&D Canal in 4 hours or so. (Motored to beat the weather though and arrived about 9p.) With the winds from NNW you should be able to set sail right out out of the canal and sail down the Elk River to the Bay and right into the Sassafras.

Give the shoal off Grove Point a wide berth and honor Red #2 once in the Sassafras. Keep well starboard of the shoal near green #3 as you head towards Ordinary Point. The depth becomes less than 2' in a heartbeat.

There is a nice anchorage in the Sassafras near the entrance to Turner Creek (see attached chart).

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12273.shtml

Enjoy. There was still color on the trees before the Nor'easter.

Regards.
DH

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
probably on the sassafras river in the vicinity of marker #10 It is about 6 miles above the mouth and has ten feet or more within 200 feet of shore, good holding and very well sheltered with less that a half mile fetch in any direction. Mind the shoal in the area of grove point. Once you are past ordinary point you are sheltered from waves off the bay driven by west winds.
this is a good spot.. we've anchored there before.

Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
Why Not Annapolis?

I'm in Chesapeake City with some friends who I will have to part company with soon as they need to move south more quickly. They (6 foot draft) want to stop in Annapolis and I need to head somewhere else nearby so our plan is to meet up somewhere between here and there tomorrow so they can arrive the next day in the city early. We'd like an easy day tomorrow and anchor in the nicest and most scenic spot we can find. Nature and view important, shore support and facilities irrelevant.

Where would those of you familiar with the area go? Suggestions accepted until 0600 tomorrow (November 1)
It seems to me that Annapolis is not that hard a day from Chesapeake City, then you are there, even earlier, otherwise the other side of the canal there is a state park on the south side of the river.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I don't know, with those predicted northerlies tomorrow I would get up early and have a romping great run down the Bay to the Magothy River; which would also put you in close proximity to Annapolis early Wednesday. Doesn't look we'll have good wind on Wednesday, so may want to be closer to Annapolis. Tuesday looks to be a great Bay sailing day. Welcome!

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
The anchorage Deadhead mentioined is a great spot. We were sitting in the cockpit around sunset, eating dinner, when a bald headed eagle flew by off the port side, just skimming the surface, turned around the stern, and then flew by off the starboard side. He reached down with his talons, and picked up a big fish without missing a beat. Amazing.
If I'm not mistaken, the water there was fresh, and our swim was especially refreshing.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Swan Creek, Rockhall? Closer to Annapolis than the Sassafras. Very Pretty.

If you change your mind and want a marina, The Sailing Emporium in the Rockhall basin is very nice.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
A close look at the charts will quickly show that there are not many well sheltered anchorages along the way to Annapolis. The Sassafras is about the best. Stillpond is exposed to the north and west Warton creek is rather shoal I know nothing about middle river area but it is about half way.

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Hunter 82? 37 Cutter Wherever the wind takes me
Fairlee Creek is really beautiful and protected but it's a little tricky to get in. Thinwater's suggestion of Swan Creek is probably the best, it's one of my favorite spots, much easier than Rock Hall Harbor and a nice anchorage. You can dinghy over Osprey Point Marina and then walk into town or the Harbor side. There's also Middle River - just make a right at Poole's Island and head towards the river, once inside there are a lot of great places to anchor up: Sue Creek and Frog Mortar Creek to name a few. Anchoring behind Hart Miller wouldn't offer much protection from a northerly but it's nice also.

M

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
There is a long bar that must be respected at the entrance to Rock Hall.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
If not Broad Creek on the Magothy, then Bodkin Creek, on the south side of the Patapsco where it meets the bay.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
My friend Terry's 32' Endeavor is located at a dock on Burley Creek just north of Annapolis. You would glow about all the additions you have done to your E 32 if you looked at their boat.
I hope to be down there on that boat this coming weekend.

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Why not Annapolis?
My advice to them was to get to a place like Annapolis mid day so they have plenty of time to find the mooring or tie up spot they like, go ashore, etc. We would also both like a short easy day today. Besides the Sassafras sounds like exactly the kind of place I came to the bay to see.

Jun 16, 2011
Catalina 350 Rock hall
We keep our boat on worton creek. If it is light you can anchor outside. But inside is very peaceful. Our boat draws 5'2" and we have no issue.

Jun 9, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Bayfield, WI
Roger-I see from Spot that you appear to be tucked up somewhere for the evening. I am still hoping that when I get to Annapolis next week that Strider might be around.

BobT

Sep 29, 2008
Gulfstar 37 North East River, Chesapeake Bay
And the winner is.... Swan Creek! A very nice choice. Looks like you had a great day on the bay. Welcome! The Spot page is great.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Will you be in Annaolis? I'm on Back Creek, on the south side of Eastport. I'd be glad to have you drop in and/or meet up.

Oct 8, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Winthrop Harbor, IL Drummond Island,MI
If you like ice cream.......make sure you go to the creamery. You can probably row there....not sure if they are closed for the season though. All you can eat crab at the Masthead about a couple miles south(docking there might not be easy). There is a museum/ship builder you may be interested in a short walk from the creamery.

Status
Not open for further replies.