Checking out a H260 fixed keel tomorrow

Jul 18, 2015
Hunter 340 Rogersville, AL
Annie B III.jpg
IMG_1320_2.jpg
IMAG0396.jpg
Okay, so here is a big update. I know it has been a while, but hey life happens.....especially with a toddler. So we bought the boat which was located about 4 hours down river from me in Grand Rivers, KY. Kind of a neat learning experience as Lighthouse Landing (who had the boat listed) was one of the largest Hunter dealers around several years ago. Anyway, a lot of hours were put in doing maintenance on the Yanmar and getting things upgraded. Engine had not been run in sometime. After waiting for months for a decent weather window, we finally got one this past weekend and started the journey. We made it almost 100 miles south, entire length of Kentucky Lake, in two days. Zero engine/boat/personell issues at all. It was abit chilly and windy, but the Yanmar chugged along for 8 hours each day and we got to see some of the beautiful sights nature had to offer......and 3 foot standing waves due a north wind over 15mph.
All in all, I learned alot about the boat and got a good feel for the handling in high winds. With the fixed wing keel and extra weight of the motor, the stability is exceptional.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Wish I had been with you. Thank for sharing those wonderful pictures. Note in the background the green colored bimini. FYI that is Persian Green.

Jul 18, 2015
Mast Base.jpg
Appreciate all the helpful info on the boat. I also figured out where the water leak was coming from. Since there is no swing keel and the boat molds are the same, there is a no tube for a line to run down from the top of the cabin to the keel area from under the mast and therefor nowhere for the water to go that collects under the mast step area when it rains. Part of the comppression pole sticks up through the top of the boat and the mast base sits on top. The compression pole has sealant around it to prevent water from entering the cabin area, but has seen better days. I covered it for now and I think that stopped the leaking completely. If you zoom in you can see the area that I am talking about.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Yah, good lookin' boat!

One little thing I noticed, the entry of the furler control line into the CDI drum. Have you tested the operation of the furler?

image.png

Jul 18, 2015
Yes, and it works okay. I plant upgrade to harkens and actually have enter at correct angle. Furler needs removing and adjusting also. My to do list would wrap around the boat 3 times.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Yes, and it works okay. I plant upgrade to harkens and actually have enter at correct angle. Furler needs removing and adjusting also. My to do list would wrap around the boat 3 times.
That's probably as far forward as they could mount it and still be able access the back of it. You have the same problem with a Harken. That looks like a CDI. They are decent furlers. Maybe try and fix the angle and keep it? Pocket the cost avoidance or spend it on something cool for her. The boat I mean. If the wife finds out, it's lost :)

Jul 18, 2015
I meant harken soft attach pulleys/blocks, not furler. I should have been more specific. The furler is fine. I used these small harken blocks that can be lashed to run the furling line on my last boat.

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
Very nice and congrats. Last year, our little guy was barely crawling it was pretty easy onboard. This year, well, it'll be interesting.

Jul 18, 2015
Very nice and congrats. Last year, our little guy was barely crawling it was pretty easy onboard. This year, well, it'll be interesting.
Same here. Not sure how much sailing we will get to do. Oh well, at least I will be able to get some of my list completed.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Justsomeguy
Good catch on the lead of the furler line. Bamabaxter, good that you caught it as that line exiting the furler should be clear of the drum when exiting. As to blocks, I leave that choice up to you. You would be surprised who said good things about that furler as he is well known and a competitor. I see where you mentioned and when you do seal it later, feel free to get me involved if you want to. I could not see it clearly though as it is too dark for the picture. One other thing we have in common is the lack of hair. Hope you got a broad brim hat for that so you aint gonna have a red beacon on top. Ha