Checking in!

Jun 19, 2017
MacGregor 26D Oscoda, MI
Hello! I am new to sailing and just bought a MacGregor 26D. Looking forward to learning from all of you veterans!

Dave

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Welcome Dave! Congratulations! The 26D is a very nice choice in my opinion. We love ours.

Apr 19, 2012
Tell us a little about yourself and about your boat.

Do you have any sailing experience? How much? Is this your first boat?

What condition is your boat? Does it have any mods? Is it ready to sail? What condition are the sails? Did you get an outboard? ............

Jun 19, 2017
MacGregor 26D Oscoda, MI
I don't have much experience. The boat is in really good shape. Needs cleaning, new nets and lines. It comes with an outboard. I am not sure what the make and model of that is tbh. I do not think it has any mods but I haven't spent a ton of time in it yet. We are going to bring it here and start cleaning it tomorrow. My best friend has a lot of experience and is working with me on this project.

Apr 19, 2012
We all started with little or no experience so that's okay. Take your time learning and have fun with it. Take a sailing class if you can. I hope you have a good place to sail near by. When we first got our V-222 the nearest lake big enough to sail it on was a little over an hour away, which wasn't too bad. After a year or so of sailing there a crack was discovered in the dam so the water was let out. Now the nearest water is the Pacific Ocean which is a 4 hour drive. That's the pits but I'll be leaving here soon.

Go ahead and take everything out of the boat (except the foam). Empty all the compartments and clean them out. This will also help you lean where everything is. Don't be afraid to take a hose to the inside and wash everything down. The water won't hurt anything and you can easily suck it all back out with either a bilge pump or a shop-vac.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Eberline welcome to a great place to learn, share and exchange your daily experiences.
Make sure you pay close attention to weather forecasts when heading out in the lake, the weather can change quickly and become extremely powerful.
We were out on Sunday on lake Huron and sailed through a few squalls in the area, sails set to under 60% sail area with no issue until the last squall hit us with 50+ KPH winds, driving rain and hail with extreme force, torn the digital TV antenna off the top of the mast and I believe when that came off in knocked the masthead light off its mount, we rounded up hard and the wind kept us on our side for about 30 seconds, was able to release the main sheet on the second time the Sapphire turned allowing her to stand up straighter, the mast was shaking like a leaf in the wind, it was an overall eye opening experience, one that was without warning.
Have fun and get yourself out there as much as possible and enjoy that wonderful vessel you purchased.

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
When I was learning to sail the first thing I learned from experience was put stopper knots in the ends of all sheets after they are put through the fair leads. Trust me you don't want to be out there with the sheet flying in front of the boat, a panicky wife and a baby crying.
Set up a routine and follow it (Does not have to be written). Double check everything. All ways error on safety side, always be prepared for any eventuality (have alternate plans), have plans for any failures, and enjoy the experience of being on the your boat and God's wind and water.

JCall

May 3, 2016
Macgregor 26D Ceasars Creek
Looks very similar to the condition of our 26D when we purchased it. I took mine to a car wash and spent a few dollars using the soapy brush then pressure hose to scrub it down. Careful with the high pressure spray on the gelcoat.

Follow BudGates advise using his post as a checklist of things to do to prepare the boat and yourself to go out sailing for the first time. Congratulations!

Jun 19, 2017
MacGregor 26D Oscoda, MI
Just the hose and some green scrubbies is working miracles already. Looks like a brand new boat. My buddy is doing most of the work too!

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
Congratulations! And welcome. Great boat choice, and it looks like you got a nice one!
Couple quick comments...
Looks like you have a later year D, due to the higher coaming sides around the cockpit. The earlier years had a railing instead of the top section (above the last angled bump in the fiberglass). Just something to keep in mind as you look at other D boats. Your cockpit is closer in height to our S model which came right after the D.
The nets are not necessary for sailing. Don't let them stop you from sailing. Take them off if you have a chance to sail, rather than postpone sailing to wait for them!
I noticed a set of thru-hull fittings above the sink drain, probably around the head area. Could be for a potty macerator pump or a pump-out or something. Definitely need to know what they go to. That's a kinda odd place for a thru-hull or drain. There are regulations up there on the lakes about what you can and can't do with the portapotty or head, so be sure to check into it before you take off!
Have fun sailing!! You'll love it. These boats just want to sail - they're very forgiving and easy to get moving...

Jun 19, 2017
MacGregor 26D Oscoda, MI
Congratulations! And welcome. Great boat choice, and it looks like you got a nice one!
Couple quick comments...
Looks like you have a later year D, due to the higher coaming sides around the cockpit. The earlier years had a railing instead of the top section (above the last angled bump in the fiberglass). Just something to keep in mind as you look at other D boats. Your cockpit is closer in height to our S model which came right after the D.
The nets are not necessary for sailing. Don't let them stop you from sailing. Take them off if you have a chance to sail, rather than postpone sailing to wait for them!
I noticed a set of thru-hull fittings above the sink drain, probably around the head area. Could be for a potty macerator pump or a pump-out or something. Definitely need to know what they go to. That's a kinda odd place for a thru-hull or drain. There are regulations up there on the lakes about what you can and can't do with the portapotty or head, so be sure to check into it before you take off!
Have fun sailing!! You'll love it. These boats just want to sail - they're very forgiving and easy to get moving...
Any suggestions as to where I'd get somethingredients like that checked out? I'm completely new to sailing.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Any suggestions as to where I'd get somethingredients like that checked out? I'm completely new to sailing.
Take a few photos of the inside where the through hulls exit. Follow any hoses from the vents/through hulls to their terminations and photograph those too.

"...somethingredients..."???

Welcome!

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
Congratulations, and welcome to the forum. Although I moved up to a bigger boat, I had several years of pleasurable sailing with my Mac 26D. This is a very helpful group that can provide you with invaluable information.
I noticed in your picture that the boat isn't snugged up against the bow stop. Be sure before towing to pull the boat all the way to the rubber "V" using either the Mac bump method or winching it forward after draining the ballast (my preferred method).