Check out this parking job...

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
OK... I'm impressed. Nice use of the anchor @ :25 into the video.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Well sure it looks impressive, but it's easy with a bow thruster!

It also looked like his rear props (or whatever that boat has for propulsion) could turn more than 90 degrees.

Greg

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I did not see a bow thruster, I did see the anchor chain splashing in the water though. A bow thruster would not be very useful with the anchor down. And I think that the Captain just used the two props, starboard in forward and port in reverse to generate a torque and pivot around the anchor.
Clearly a seaman of great skill in any case. Heck, I'd be wetting my pants if I was coming into port on a ship that size at those speeds.

Feb 17, 2006
@Bill Roosa, look around 2:58. You should see some minor bow thruster activity. Not much, but there is turbulence in the water at the starboard bow.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Greek ferrys are the roads of the Greek islands. They run in all conditions. People depend on them. Those guys are crazy good pros.

Feb 17, 2006
Think I will try that to back into my slip. Just run down the fairlane, drop my anchor and see if my stern spins around to line me up with my slip, then back in. LOL I can see the dock master now screaming and yelling. LOL

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
They weren't in port very long at all. The water was still roiled up when the ship was leaving port.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
That hook is all nice and shiny when the lift it. Gets a lot of use is my guess. Nice.