Cheap Hunter 260 just came up for sale - ask questions

Aug 6, 2017
Pearson 31-2 Atwood Lake
A marina just posted a 260 for under half of recent comparable boats - $6900 for a 260 with trailer, fully setup from what I can tell, but some interior moisture issues may be present, as the table and wall coverings seem dark/discolored. I'd be asking lots of questions, but that's a heck of a deal at the current price if it just needs some TLC.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/69246

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I’d question everything about it. Including the model and year built. It looks like a 26 to me. And if it’s a 260 I’d beware of all the water damage. It’s still possible that it’s a good deal, though. But I’m pretty happy with our 260 even though we paid a lot more than what he’s asking for it.

Aug 6, 2017
Pearson 31-2 Atwood Lake
Good catch - it has a middle window, and a tiller. I just just taken aback by the price, and it does have the lighter blue cushions that I've seen on 260s vs. the more primary blue of the 26 models I've seen, but I missed those admittedly big tells as well.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
It appears to be a 26. Looking at the aft which was not clear, it did not have a dive platform for starters and the forestay chain plate looks like the 26 style. Still not a bad price for someone who clean it up.. As for the year, I would question that asking for the hull number as I introduced the 260 in 1997 for the model year 1998; however, there were a few that got away with the 1998 model year as some of the decks were still laying around at the factory.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Definitely a 26. I'd say the motor, stern rail seats and trailer alone are worth $6900.
Edit:
Okay, conservatively; Motor $1500, Stern Rail Seats $2500, Trailer $2000 = $6000 That doesn't even take into consideration the boat itself!
Then consider the sails, bimini, roller furler, etc.
Add elbow grease and someone will could have a nice boat!

Last edited:
May 6, 2004
- - Potomac
Yeah, if the seller is a marina, they're probably just trying to get made whole on unpaid storage fees. Great deal for an inclined buyer...

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Check the serial number on the engine and see what year it is, then check the value. I have a much older Honda 8, which I like other than it is heavy. If you see water damage inside, look at any vertical wood panels such as bulkheads or doors to see if there is a "tub ring" that would indicate there was standing water. Not necessarily a showstopper, but if you see any, check all the wood (incl hidden bulkheads under seats, in the lazarette, etc.) that may have some damage or delamination. If so, maybe get it even lower in price.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Well, somebody got a deal, listing has been deleted. Hope it is someone on the forum...

Dec 14, 2011
Navicula 430 Hunter Toronto
Honestly....I am finding used sailboats are dropping in price.....there seems to be alot stock out there, and the owners are getting older and the costs are rising to maintain and store.........what they are asking is not what they are getting.....if you are handy and looking to buy used.....hit them low

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Maybe up in Toronto they are going cheap. It's not the case down here in the sunshine state. The last boat I went to look at in that price range was a C22 pop top. The glass was in such bad shape that it creaked & cracked when I walked on the deck. No usable sails were included. The 1970's vintage outboard didn't run & was not included in the price. The trailer was not road worthy. There wasn't a seaworthy line on the boat. No cushions nor other accessories were included. Bargains down here are hard to find.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Maybe up in Toronto they are going cheap. It's not the case down here in the sunshine state. The last boat I went to look at in that price range was a C22 pop top. The glass was in such bad shape that it creaked & cracked when I walked on the deck. No usable sails were included. The 1970's vintage outboard didn't run & was not included in the price. The trailer was not road worthy. There wasn't a seaworthy line on the boat. No cushions nor other accessories were included. Bargains down here are hard to find.
Not what I would have guesed. I thought there would be deals all over in Florida considering all the damaged boats from the hurricane. I figured there would be many slightly damaged and an abundance of salvaged parts to make repairs. Not so?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Yea, we have plenty of parts boats for sale down here. The problem is that people advertise them as being in turn key condition & they ask full book value for them. Some of the sellers even advertise factually incorrect information. As an example, one guy listed his motor as being a 2003 that was dealer maintained. The date code in the model number on the block indicated that is was actually a 1981. The old style choke on the carburetor tipped me off to take a look at the numbers.

There are a lot of bad boats for sale down here. One of my neighbors is in the market to buy right now, but he's on a budget. I've been looking at several possibilities with him over the past few months. So far, none have gotten to the point of needing to call a surveyor. Caveat Emptor.

Edit:
Another example from the other side of the fence:
About 3 years ago, I listed a boat for sale at a price that I thought was fair, but not generous. I put it on Craig's List. I had a call within 2 hours. The first guy that showed up, brought cash & ended up giving me my asking price. He didn't even take me up on my offer of a sea trial. The whole deal was done in less than 6-hours from when I listed the boat for sale. I think that I threw in 2 life jackets & an anchor, so that the guy & his daughter could take it straight to the ramp & go out for a joy ride. That's how tough it is to find an actual turn-key boat down here for reasonable money. People race to get to you before someone else buys it out from under them.

Down here, just about everybody wants to own a boat. We have the right weather for it.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
Just saw listing for a 1999 H260 . $9900.
Downwind sail. Wheel with autopilot plus trailer with newer disc brakes. Craigslist in the NW. thats a deal.

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
In my opinion since it went out of production, nothing has come along in the US to replace it.(Several offerings from Eastern Europe , but in a different price category.
Fix the rudder upgrade the winches and running rigging and you have a really good boat for coastal/ lake sailing with a great cockpit that you can put away for the off season.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Wow - good deal indeed!
I saw this video of the boat before
It's got some nice rigging on it. Looks like it's been listed for over 2 weeks, surprised it's still available.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
Handed on jib.
Most went with rollerfurler .
But at that price a pro furler could be added