Cheap Furling unit

May 3, 2018
macgregor 26S trailer sailed from Kitimat
I own a 93 Macgregor 26S, my wife has only one leg and was never very good on any marine tiller be it motor or sail small tiller movements are very hard for her so my problem was if I go forward to adjust anything forward of the cockpit I have to be tied in or run the risk of a hard adjustment to throw me overboard, on the boat she's a work in progress. So moving all lines back to the cockpit became a project. Our 30 years work for both of us.
How I did my rope drum:
I used 2 mountain bike brake rotors 2 hockey pucks for parts a small piece of aluminum tubing 6 stainless machine screws and nuts red locktite most of which have been in my toolbox for years. Hockey pucks made to fit into the small alu. pipe, pipe cut to fit on lower turnbuckle bolt. 14 inch PVC to protect the sail from the turnbuckle.
Tools required were a very cheap drill press garage sale $20 years ago owes me zip scrap drill bit from the junk drawer in the toolbox mark the hole locations on the hockey puck pieces in the pipe spend some time making sure the table and drill bit are 90 degrees if not it will wobble.
This is my first post here so not sure how this works for post size and how many post to upload pictures so until I figure this out

Jun 4, 2015
Macgregor 26D Lake Country, BC
That sounds interesting.......I will soon undertake a furler fabrication as well. And of course what Canadian doesn’t have a few hockey pucks in their tool box!! I use them a lot.....sometimes even for hockey!
Looking forward to pictures!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Yep:)

Welcome to the finest forum there ever was and likely will be bubby-joe.
You will find what you're looking for here. It is good to have you join us.

- Will (Dragonfly)

May 3, 2018
Well its mounted on the boat and looks good the weather looks right for a working test in the morning on the trailer the cost of a real furling unit was in my mind a lot of money for a very small rope drum my other concept was a rope pulley twin lined to the rear to control the head sail from the cockpit using a bicycle hub and axle assembly, thanks for the welcomes I've waited 10 years after seeing the factory video off the California coast for this model with the equipment it came with the old steel trailer will be the next fix it tows like noodle soup on the highway. I have limited welding experience and some 3 inch pipe and a cutting disk an old Lincoln 225 AC stick welder rebuilt/rewired from the land fill recycle they die hard. Other needed project will be an extra reef point in the main sail later this year. KISS comes to mind simple works best.

May 3, 2018
Loading now, works very well 2 very minor bugs, the sail had to go to the rope from the center not the top brake rotor. And the second was the addition of the line guide stopped the line from going over the top brake rotor and winding around the sail
all n all for a DIY from pictures better than some less costly than most.
cost break down
2 rotors yard sale .25 ea pucks free bounces off my car 0 cost stainless screws and nuts from my junk box also 0 cost to me the line guide from my tool box .69 hardware item I know not stainless but as proof of concept I'm Ok with that the rope was dollar store 2.00
Grand total of 2.94 cents out of pocket I'm really not cheap but very very thrifty.

DSCN0068.JPG DSCN0069.JPG DSCN0070.JPG DSCN0071.JPG DSCN0072.JPG

Jun 4, 2015
Macgregor 26D Lake Country, BC
Well done! I like it! $2.94 Canadian......that’s only a couple of dollars or so in Trump bucks!

Apr 21, 2014
MacGregor Venture 22 Launched, San Diego,CA
I am going to install a remote tiller control using a 12 volt gate opener and a double pole double throw switch that is spring loaded to the center position. I plan to have a long cable so as to enable me to move forward or use th head. I have also installed 2 clear lens inspection ports on the forward cabin. The ports give light, provide forward his ability and can be removed for ventilation when in port.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I am going to install a remote tiller control using a 12 volt gate opener and a double pole double throw switch that is spring loaded to the center position. I plan to have a long cable so as to enable me to move forward or use th head. I have also installed 2 clear lens inspection ports on the forward cabin. The ports give light, provide forward his ability and can be removed for ventilation when in port.
I did something the same that mounts...

... where the tiller pilot goes, using,

... a ram that ...

is controlled by a remote and some solenoids. Planned on using it anchoring when solo on the Bahama trip. The remote would also start and stop the trolling motor. Only used it a couple times. It didn't have the same range that the tiller pilot has so would have had to mount it further back towards the tiller pivot point to move the tiller more. I found that I didn't really need it so never modified it,

Sumner
=====================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

May 3, 2018
Alas my boat came with an auto tiller like the first picture more work to do I find there is no working power in the rear hatch area the kicker power end just inside the hatch and goes no where near the battery bank under the stove got snow on the mountains that circle the town 4 to 6 ft up there it's coming for sure.....