Chartplotters

HD74

Dec 27, 2016
Hunter 340 Pickwick tn
Does anyone have an experience with Raymarine chartplotters they would like to share looking at getting a multifunction chartplotter. Not sure which one to get. Also can a Garmin, or B&G be use with other Raymarine instruments such as wind depth speed and autopilot thanks for any help

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I have several Raymarine MFDa. To my knowledge you cannot connect non Raymarine instruments into a Raymarine MFD. The newest MFD line is Axion. If you buy it make sure you get the model with the knobs. The touch screen is great but with moisture sometimes they don't work.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
If you current inst. are seatalk1/2 you'll need to convert them to Stng using E22158

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
I gave a Garmin chartplotter/radar with a Raymarine EV100 autopilot and Horizon VHF with GPS lat/long info from chart plotter.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The Axiom line is 100% NMEA 200 (N2K)compatible. The older line is SeatalkNG which is N2K except the cables. They have passive adapter cables for about the same price as regular cables.

If your instruments are Seatalk1 you need an active box to convert to SeatalkNG then a passive cable to N2K.

Your instruments can communicate with Garmin or B&G but you give up the ability to update the firmware of any of the RM components.

Mahalo

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
We bought an eS Raymarine 9.7" chartplotter last year. It interfaced nicely with our old instruments and autopilot which are Raymarine from 1998. I like having both buttons and touch screen and would recommend finding that option with whichever company you go with.

We purchased Navionics 3D charts for our area and really like the detail. Zero complaints, and the lighthouse software gives us about 95% of what B&G does. The software I found very intuitive, it took no time to get comfortable using it. Overall we couldn't be happier with this upgrade.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our original 1991 Autohelm system (now Raymarine) with wind, speed, depth, autopilot, etc. still work. Several years ago (2005) the fam got me a Garmin 178C Sounder GPS that I interfaced with the autopilot. Still working today after cruising thousands of miles. I suppose newer systems work better, but I'm happy with the performance of what I've got. Always spot on and does a nice job of keeping the boat on a plotted course.