Charters in the Charlotte Harbor area, eg Punta Gorda

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I have looked at a number of threads about sailing in this area, and it seems good. I see that Seadaddler lives there. My wife decided to buy a place in N Fort Myers, about halfway between Punta Gorda and Fort Myers/Cape Coral, right off Rte 41.
I have looked at two places near there that charter, one in Punta Gorda at the Burnt Store marina and another in Cape Coral. The former has a couple of smaller boats (22 ft Catalina) that can go for half days. The latter is larger boats, multi-day. That latter one seems a bit pricy to me, at least compared to a place I have looked at up in St Petersburg where we have friends.
Does anyone have any advice about these? We should be down there on March 31 for 2 weeks, maybe 3. I doubt if we'd have time to do a cruise, but am seriously thinking of a half day or day on the 22 footer. Where would you sail if a full day (like 9 to 5, or whatever their hours are)? How are the winds normally in April?
Thanks, Peter

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I would go for the Burnt Store option. Lots better sailing in the Charlotte Harbor area vs Cape Coral area. Popular destination would be Pelican Bay for 1. Just lots more options in Charlotte Harbor. Cape Coral you pretty much have to go out in the gulf and deal with the traffic under the bridge at Sanibel.

Sumner

Feb 8, 2011
Catalina 30TR Hernando Beach
Peter,

Glad you're coming down to sailing paradise. I'm based north of Tampa Bay, but have sailed this area a lot.

I concur with Sumner and the Burnt Store option. That area gives you the benefit of reasonably sheltered waters with some, but not too much traffic from other boaters. The harbor is wide, but does have a number of shallow areas, so bring some sort of navigation aids to keep you from grounding. Watch buoys and know where you're at!
Sailing suggestions: Follow the advice above and head for Pelican Bay (tricky entrance, and shallow) but this'll give you access to Cayo Costa state park and its great beaches. This would be an all day sail/ return.
Alternatively, head north to Punta Gorda and treat your wife to lunch and shopping at Fisherman's Village Marina. Sailing wives love that place!
Weather should be excellent in April; it's probably the best month to sail there. Moderate winds, relatively cool temperatures, and it's unlikely a storm will catch you unawares.
Fair winds!

Peter W.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Thanks both. The Catalina has slightly more than 2 ft draft so should be pretty easy to keep off the mud.
Peter, do you know anything about the charter outfit near the Vinoy Hotel in St Pete? That'd be for a future visit to friends on Tierra Verde island.

Feb 8, 2011
Catalina 30TR Hernando Beach
Sorry for the delay in replying. I just don't check these every day.

No, I have no knowledge of that outfit. The Vinoy is a rather upscale resort/ marina on Tampa Bay. Why not try to find something at St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, or else in Gulfport? Might also be a bit closer to your intended destination.

Good Luck!