Chart plotter choice

Jimski

May 20, 2015
Catalina 30 Seabrook
It is time to replace my aging Garmin 178 chart plotter. The other instruments (depth and speed through water) are broken. The boat is a Catalina 30. Use of the boat is 60% club racing (Rum Races) and 40% leisure on Galveston Bay TX. I've researched and narrowed the field down somewhat. The most likely candidates are 7" models:
Garmin 741 (is there anything on the 742 worth an extra $400?)
Raymarine Axiom 7
B&G Vulcan 7.
The Raymarine A98 was on the list for a while as its available as a reman for a very low price, but have now removed it from consideration due to lack of sailing features.

Any other models I should consider? Any reason on of those is better than the others?

Thanks!

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
The 742 is worth the extra bucks for use if gwind (wireless technology) will be used for racing/cruising. Also latest for active captain.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The B&G series are nice units. I just installed a 9" Zeus2 with Triton2 instruments. The sailing features are nice and the racing features are nice. There is a way to set up the start line on the display, haven't tried it yet, but it looks to be helpful. The Triton displays are clear and easily read.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I agree with Dave. I have the B&G Zeus2 7" and 9" displays, Triton2 instrument, HiDef color radar, RC42 AP, etc.

Great sailing and racing features on the Zeus2.

The Zeus2 is now 'obsolete,' but supported, and remanufactured units are available as a very good deal from Defender.

Jimski

May 20, 2015
Catalina 30 Seabrook
On the A98 - Perhaps I'm wrong. I could not find any sailing centered review. The A98 appeared to be lacking any sailing specific features such as lay lines, time/distance to tack, etc. It also appeared to be flush mount only. Is this true? Anyone have one care to elaborate?

I sailed on a friend's boat with a full B&G instrumentation package. It seemed like using those race features was cheating. I read those features were also available in the Garmin (SailSteer) and Raymarine units that had the newer Lighthouse 3 OS.

Initially I need chart plotter and depth info. I will be adding wind instruments later. Since I dont have any now, going wireless looks to be much easier to install than running wires down the mast and through bulkheads. Thanks Jerry McElwee for the info about the 741 vs 742. Is there an adapter that will feed wireless data into the 741?

Jim

Jimski

May 20, 2015
Catalina 30 Seabrook
I saw the Zeus 2 9" at Defender for a great price. Is there mounting bracket available or is if flush mount only?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The Atom has a pair of wind indicators on the same screen that show apparent and true right there.

Jan 11, 2014
I saw the Zeus 2 9" at Defender for a great price. Is there mounting bracket available or is if flush mount only?
The original units came with mounting brackets. I borrowed from MaineSail's website to build a shelf to mount it on.
IMG_0134.jpg IMG_0138.jpg IMG_1288.jpg

The radar image is at my dock. There is a tall hill just in front of the boat. Behind the boat you can see the boats in the next dock over and the break wall. The depth has a cool tracking feature. Again these are at my dock.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Is there an adapter that will feed wireless data into the 741?
I just bought a Garmin 741xs from. West Marine. It sets up its own wireless network and has Bluetooth connectivity. I’ve just had it installed for a few days but so far I’ve been really pleased. If you want to stop by and mess with it I’m just up the road at HYC.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I have a Garmin 840sx unit as it has a sail racing function that you may want to look at.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The A98 appeared to be lacking any sailing specific features such as lay lines, time/distance to tack, etc
My a98 is flush mount and you do have lay lines for course adjustment. Since I rarely race, Timing to tack, I have never used.
But you can program a new custom screen with data boxes, split screen to show lay lines and Chart-plotter vectors. It does have vectors to set both True and Apparent winds and the vectors can be set for time to reach a point. Way Point alarms and my Auto Pilot can be in standby and signal when to tack.

Not sure about the a98 in a box mount.

The a98 meets all my sailing needs.
Jim...

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
From the installation manual:
"Each size display may be flush or bracket mounted.

Included Items
1 Zeus2 display
2 Sun cover
3 Bezels trim (black and silver)
4 Power cable
5 Self tapping pozi screws, 4Gx1/2” (x4 for 7/9, x8 for 12)
6 Ethernet dust cap (x2 for Zeus2 12)
7 HDMI dust cap (only for Zeus2 12) 8 NMEA 2000 dust cap
9 Video/NMEA 0183 dust cap 1
0 Document pack (includes: installation manual, user manual, quick start guide, templates, and warranty card)
11 Bracket
12 Bracket knobs
13 Self tapping pozi screws for bracket
14 Dash mount foam gasket
15 Self adhesive decal"​

https://manuals.bandg.com/Zeus2/install-manual/ZEUS2_IM_EN_988-10604-002_w.pdf

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
The a98 can be mounted on a bracket. I like it that way because the way I have it mounted it can be pivoted up and down for standing or sitting and rotated for being on the lee side to look under the genny or the windward side to look for contacts or bouys. I am sure that is true for other brands too. I don't race but it has all the sailing functions I need and I'm pretty sure as I read through the manual there are a lot of racing function. However, I am sure that the other brands have many of the same functions, and maybe even more and there may be other advantages to those brands like intuitive controls, available nav functons, etc. I like with the a98 that it has a "remote" function that lets me see the MFD display via wifi link to my smart phone or android. Others may have the same thing. I am not bashing any brands but I am happy with mine but I am sure I'd be equally happy with other brands.

I am sure others can give you advantages and disadvantages of Raymarine equipment as well as other brands. Look at the display and controls and then pick based on features and "price point." I got a great deal on the Raymarine Package including Digital Radar when replacing after a lightning strike. In addition I wanted a system with a Rotary autopilot drive (since my boat had been designed with one from the get-go) and the Raymarine packaged offered that.

Jan 11, 2014
Brands aside, one important concern is whether the MFD is a touch screen only or knob, button and touch screen. Knobs and buttons are easier to use in a seaway.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello,
I have the Vulcan 7FS. A friend has a new Raymarine e7. The raymarine is a nice unit and has buttons in addition to touch screen. I have had the Vulcan for a few years and I am very happy with it. The Sailsteer feature is very cool. The layline display is excellent. The start line feature is cool but the unit does not display burn time or estimated time to the line. The Vulcan is super easy to integrate to other NMEA 2000 instruments. The Vulcan is also the cheapest unit by far. The Vulcan has wireless and there are free apps or iphone, ipad and android where you can see and operate the display. I bought Navionics charts for the Vulcan and my iphone and that is the coolest thing. Yes I love gadgets.
Barry

Jimski

May 20, 2015
Catalina 30 Seabrook
Great info. I appreciate everybody sharing their opinions and experiences. The more info there is the harder it will be to decide. Now I am adding the Garmin 73cv to the list of candidates.

Does any one have any experience with the Raymarine Axiom 7? West Marine has it on sale with a sonar transducer for $529.
It is touch only display.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
If this new instrument will be mounted on the binnacle, read the fine print about "compass safe distance" and heed it.
The sales droids at most big stores will not mention this. A specialty marine electronics store probably will.
We went with a Lowrance plotter/digital radar combo. Love it. They have a model that does NOT use a powerful perm. magnet to hold the chart chip door closed.
Shop carefully. And be wary of any salesman that denies that the earth has a magnetic field. :(
The "price" is important, but not more so than your life or safety.

Jan 11, 2014
If this new instrument will be mounted on the binnacle, read the fine print about "compass safe distance" and heed it.
The sales droids at most big stores will not mention this. A specialty marine electronics store probably will.
We went with a Lowrance plotter/digital radar combo. Love it. They have a model that does NOT use a powerful perm. magnet to hold the chart chip door closed.
Shop carefully. And be wary of any salesman that denies that the earth has a magnetic field. :(
The "price" is important, but not more so than your life or safety.

There are free apps for both iOS and Android that will measure magnetic field. Very handy. Take it to the store and measure the field when the unit is on and off.

The B&Gs do not have magnetic doors.