Charge Wire

Mar 9, 2012
Beneteau 381 PVR
Could someone tell me how I locate the charge wire on my 25MXB. I have the manual and it shows #10 red wire. I think I found it but then it goes into a sleeve and disappears. It\s supposed to go up to the common terminal on the panel but it doesn't. Not sure where it ends up. The engine was replaced in 2009 with this Universal one. Our boat is a 30ft 1979.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Chasing wires can be frustrating. A fox & hound (aka tone and probe) can be your best friend in these cases. As @Stu Jackson said in 79 the alternator output would go up to the motor panel then back to the common on the off,1,1+2,2 switch. The smart move was to run it to the starter power lug. The smartest move is to run it to a house bank, and charge bank 2 with an ACR.

10 AWG is much much too small for the alternator. Depending on your alternator (assuming you still don’t have a 35 amp) is #1 or bigger.

Les

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
It\s supposed to go up to the common terminal on the panel but it doesn't.
Which panel? Engine panel in cockpit or DC Distribution panel in the cabin.
Like Stu and Les have said, it most likely went to an amp meter on the engine panel, then back to the starter lug.
On my 93 i don’t have an amp meter but the wire still went back to the engine panel to a short terminal strip where connected to another 10awg wire but a different color, then back to the starter positive lug.
It should and on some boats it did, go straight from the alternator to the starter positive lug.
Common improvements were to upgrade the size of the wire and run it back to the battery switch or house battery bank.

Mar 9, 2012
Beneteau 381 PVR
Admiral Panel. Voltmeter in Admiral panel. Was at boat today. Best thing I can find is the red charge wire goes up to the solenoid at back of engine. From there it goes into a wire bundle, wrapped in tape. Then heads I believe towards panel but not sure. Alternator is a 50 amp. This engine was put in our boat in 2009 by previous owner. He ended up with cancer and eventually passed away. We got the boat when it had 35 hrs on engine. Boat had sat 4-5 years prior to us buying it.
No ammeter anywhere.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Best thing I can find is the red charge wire goes up to the solenoid at back of engine.
Do you mean the starter solenoid or is there another solenoid on the back of the engine? If you mean the starter solenoid, then the power is carried by the cable from that point to the C post on the battery switch, then to the battery/batteries. The wire that disappears into the harness towards the panel is probably the power feed for the panel.
Any chance of getting a few pictures?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
@dnimigon you'll probably have to draw your own electrical diagram. As I said above a tone and probe is invaluable in tracing wires that disappear into the nether regions of your boat. There are lots of examples on tube on how to use them.

Les

Mar 9, 2012
Beneteau 381 PVR
I should be at boat tomorrow. I'll get some pics. wiring here is bad as you can see. Sorting it all out. I'm just trying to find where the charge wire from engine ends up at the panel. Doesn't go to the switch. I came across some Cat 30 wiring diagrams that shows the charge wire #10 red going to the panel 20 amp breaker.. Each set of breakers fed from this. So I assume this might be the charge wire. It is a red #10. I'm getting a new panel and also have the Blue Sea combiner. All charging devices go to a common bus bar. Engine/solar/battery charger. This all then goes to the house. The combiner will take care of things then. Which is another question. Blue Sea says to have the exciter wire hooked to the combiner. Is this just a direct connection from the exciter wire to the ACR leaving it also connected to the alternator. I believe the exciter wire tells the ACR to combine during the start phase if needed. Am I correct on that. Getting things sorted out as this panel is in rough shape. Probably because its over 40 years old. This is a 1979. Same original breakers etc. I've added a pic of the back end so you can see the mess. Definitely needs an upgrade for sure. Breakers are in really poor shape. Plus the AC side is worse. I've very familiar with circuit tracing and finding stuff but for some reason not yet known I can't seem to find this one wire.
IMG_2635.JPG
IMG_2634.JPG

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I just read this article from "Ask the Experts: Electrical Systems - Northwest Yachting". It seems relevant.
NWY: What are some things potential boat owners should look for when examining a boat for sale with regards to electrical system? What differentiates a good from bad wiring job? (response by: Jen Haaland, a senior marine electrician who works with Bellingham, Washington-based Northwest Explorations)

Check for labeling. ABYC requires all wires to be labeled at both ends. An electrician who took the time to label their wires probably took the time to do the rest of the install correctly. Batteries should be labeled with their installation date (expect five-year lifespan, up to eight years if the batteries are not used much).

A properly labeled electrical system will save many hours when it comes time to troubleshoot. Wire runs should be tidy and secured every 18″. If the boat has a rat nest of unlabeled wires, or all black wires, expect to spend some extra money upgrading the system. A separate electrical survey, on top of your general survey, is a good idea.​

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
All charging devices go to a common bus bar. Engine/solar/battery charger.
This is big plus.

Is this just a direct connection from the exciter wire to the ACR leaving it also connected to the alternator.
Yes

I believe the exciter wire tells the ACR to combine during the start phase if needed. Am I correct on that.
No, just the opposite. The ACR combines two banks for charging based on voltage parameters. The SI version of the ACR stands for Start Interruption. If the ACR is in the combine setting/position and the SI sees voltage the ACR disconnects the two battery banks so both banks are not connected for charging. The SI wire can be connected to the exciter wire or any connection which sees voltage during when starting the boat. I have mine connected to the starter side of the start button.

I'm just trying to find where the charge wire from engine ends up at the panel. Doesn't go to the switch.
It sounds like you talking about the DC Distribution panel. If so, there is a good chance it goes to the positive bus bar. Most likely it goes to the hot side of the starter solenoid. The charge current is then carried back to the DC. Distribution panel by the starter cable which is attached to the C post of the battery switch.

I'm getting a new panel
Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck with the upgrade.

Mar 9, 2012
Beneteau 381 PVR
Thanks Ward. Sounds like I'm getting things sorted out on this end. Our boat Is in Mexico where it is kept and some Blue Sea stuff can't be shipped here where other Blue Sea things can be. So this leads me to finding other sources for the things I'm after.
It sounds like you talking about the DC Distribution panel. If so, there is a good chance it goes to the positive bus bar. Most likely it goes to the hot side of the starter solenoid. The charge current is then carried back to the DC. Distribution panel by the starter cable which is attached to the C post of the battery switch.
I agree with you here on this. I've looked it over a lot and this seems to be where it ends up. Just need to find that termination point so I can have the charging wires on a central bus bar. then I can take it to the distribution panel.