Changing to 6 volt golf cart batteries

Jan 31, 2012
Catalina 30 mkIII Santa Barbara
I currently have 2- 12 volt 'deep cycle' group 27 batteries mounted in the factory provided battery box. I would like to convert to 4- 6 volt golf cart type batteries. I can probably mount 2 of the golf cart batteries in the battery box but need another spot for the other 2. Has anyone done this?
Greg

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
Batteries

I currently have 2- 12 volt 'deep cycle' group 27 batteries mounted in the factory provided battery box. I would like to convert to 4- 6 volt golf cart type batteries. I can probably mount 2 of the golf cart batteries in the battery box but need another spot for the other 2. Has anyone done this?
Greg
If you're careful with battery size, two will fit in the under settee box. I built a second box for a 12v starter fwd under the quarter berth -- a much shorter run for the cable as well. I can send you pix next time I get to the boat if you'd like.

Nov 15, 2014
Catalina 30T 5830 Green Bay
If you're careful with battery size, two will fit in the under settee box. I built a second box for a 12v starter fwd under the quarter berth -- a much shorter run for the cable as well. I can send you pix next time I get to the boat if you'd like.
I would be interested in seeing pics of how you mounted the 12V battery under the quarter berth. Thanks!

Jan 31, 2012
Re: Batteries

Yes I would love to see you pics of the quarter berth battery box. Thanks for the reply.

Nov 15, 2014
Greg
I am interested in the philosophy of changing from 12V deep cycle batteries to the golf cart batteries? Thanks!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I am interested in the philosophy of changing from 12V deep cycle batteries to the golf cart batteries? Thanks!
Philosophy?

Bigger thicker plates, more cycles in 6V golf carts.

There are tons of discussions about this on this and other boating forums. Have you done any searches?

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=1170754&highlight=golf cart

That is one of hundreds that I found by doing a search here on "golf cart" (use exact phrase) by Maine Sail.

Read away.

Good luck.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon

there are more scientific terms that can be used to explain it, but in simple terms golf cart batteries = thicker plates = a tougher, more durable battery

the thicker plates are NOT good at letting off a high amount of energy all at once, like when the starter engages to start the engine, but they are extremely good at storing a lot of potential energy that can be released slowly over a tremendously long amount of time, for lighting, fans, electronics and other low drain devices.

a 12v battery has thinner plates, and this allows for more plates to be contained in the same case... all those thin plates, which equates to a lot of "surface area available within the electrolyte" can release a tremendous amount of energy very quickly for starting... but because they are thinner, they cant store as much potential energy, and what is stored in them, will be used up relatively fast.

golf cart batts can be drawn down to their limit, which is a good amount lower than a 12v battery with its thin plates, many many more times, without unnecessary damage to the batteries.

all things being equal, they will outlast 12v deepcycle batteries at least 2-1...

they have a deeper discharge rate, and many more charge/discharge cycles per life than does a deep cycle 12v battery. potentially over the life of the batteries, they can supply 4-6 times more energy that the 12v battery can.

and the 12v "deep cycle" batteries are really only a heavy duty 12v battery that is being compromised while doing duty where a true 6v deep cycle battery should be used...

although, if you only have one bank, and are starting the engine as well as running the "house" demands on it, the 12v option may be the best choice for you... but its when you separate the house from the starting, then you can reap rewards from the true deep cycle battery...

dont confuse a standard 6v automotive/tractor battery with the deep cycle golf cart batteries... they are very different.

so my philosophy is.. im trying to maximize the available power with the lowest cost for the longest amount of time, for the particular application.

Mar 20, 2012
i can't resist, but isn't the wheel already round? why?
your question is in relation to what??? why do we need different batteries? why would someone what to upgrade when they already have batteries?....

I will agree that the wheel is already round, but some are wider than others and some ride better than others... different applications may be better suited for a different type of wheel:D

Nov 15, 2014
Thanks for the detailed explanation centerline, very informative. I would have never thought about golf cart batteries in a sailboat.

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
My $.02

I converted to 6v about 10 years ago. The bank consist of 6- 6v for 660Ahrs. Have a Freedom 2000 charger/inverter with link 2000 monitor. First set was Trojan when they were still about $80 each. Ran these until 2010 when preparing to head offshore to the Bahamas. Then the price went through the roof and using Mainsail's suggestion I switched to Sam's club 6v after four years, I replaced them again with Sam's this last year.
Why you ask??? Don't want battery problems while offshore or in the Bahamas.

We sail A LOT and anchor out. Cycle the batteries no lower than 100Ahrs before doing something. Four years ago we installed Solar and Wind generation which has maintained our battery bank with almost no generator. We run the frig 24/7 and have no worries.

end of rambling

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
a penny for your guess why no current boat, or auto, builders have gone 6 volt.

Jan 31, 2012
Centerline-

Thank you for your input. You explained better than I could why I want to change to 4 - 6volt golf cart batteries. Now if I can only find room for them.

Greg

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
bingo. you've guessed correctly - i've done no such research. matter of fact, i recently attended the new york boat show and neglected to ask any manufacturer if his boat came with a 6 volt electrical system. me culpa.

Nov 15, 2014
Greg - thanks for posting the topic. I've learned a lot. I did a capacity test on one of my batteries yesterday. It needs replacement. I have to test the other one, but I suspect it is shot also. I was hoping to do no electrical this spring. So far I like the idea of the 6V in series to get 12V. But I have too many other things to get done this spring. Oh well, will figure something out!

Mar 20, 2012
bingo. you've guessed correctly - i've done no such research. matter of fact, i recently attended the new york boat show and neglected to ask any manufacturer if his boat came with a 6 volt electrical system. me culpa.
to help understand...

even though the 6v batts may be a better choice for some of us, they are not necessary for all of us...
and some that could actually benefit greatly from them, dont understand how the 6v batts could make any difference, so they wont buy what they dont understand.
and for these reasons alone it doesnt make sense for small and midsize yacht builders go to the expense of outfitting the boat with 6v batts, unless the buyer specs it out that way.

its cheaper to build the boat without the better battery arraignment, and then have an upcharge to the buyer if he/she wants them installed, rather than the builder going to the expense of removing them on his dime if the buyer doesnt want the 6v batts.

almost all large luxury yachts will be delivered with large house banks built of 6v batts.... many of them with 2 separate house banks, in addition to the starting batteries.

regular automobiles dont have any need for a deepcycle battery, but electric cars do....

and even though older electric cars, and some custom built ones still use the golf cart batts, newer and more expensive technology has entered into the newer electric cars.

as for electric driven machinery and equipment such as electric forklifts, manlifts, portable airport equipment and golfcarts, they still rely on the 6v deepcycle batteries for dependability and longevity under sometimes extreme conditions....

the battery could be any voltage depending on the number of cells, but due to convenience of handling the extra weight of the deep cycle battery, 3 cells is the best size for standardization.

when there is equipment available to handle even larger and heavier individual batteries, taller cells are common, which equate to larger plates (more stored energy), and more cells can be added to get any voltage that is required (in multiples of 2volts).

these very large batteries are used in special applications were the battery must deliver an extremely large amount of power for an unusually long time, and has a very high powered charger to replenish it immediately after use, and the battery is installed for its lifetime and will never be, and never was intended to be handled by a human.

I have a single battery in my shop right now that measures 48" wide, 24" thick, and 30" tall.. out of an electric forklift. its a 48volt deep cycle battery. I dont now what the Ah rating is, but i can only guess if it was rewired for 12volts, it could run the electrical needs on an average 34ft sailboat for nearly 6months before the lights went out.... some boats could probably get a year out of it.