Changing keel cable and lifting boat.

Apr 12, 2016
Macgregor Venture 222 Waconia
Hi,

I have a macgregor 22 and will be changing out the keel cable soon. A friend has a way to lift up the rear of the boat with straps, while the bow stays on the trailer. We will then let the keel down and remove the cable bolt and keel cable.

Any words of advice in this? Anyone know how much we'll have to raise the rear to access the bolt? Any safety concerns come to mind (I assume the hull won't crumple in the middle when lifting the far rear end)?

Or is there an easier way?? All I want is to get that bolt out and bolt in the new cable...

Thanks much,
Jed

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
I'd recommend jacking the trailer tongue up as high as it will go to start with. That way the boat will be more level when the stern in lifted. I don't remember for sure but I think I had to raise my V-222 about 12-18" off the trailer to access the cable bolt. Once the you lift the stern place some spacers (2x6 or 2x8) between the boat and trailer bunks directly over the supports then lower the boat to rest on the spacers while still being supported by the strap. Only then would I attempt to reach the cable bolt.

Good luck and be safe.

MccNeo

May 11, 2014
MacGregor 26S Evans
Why not simply borrow a keel boat trailer with bunks high enough to give you room to drop the swing keel?? That is what I did for my MAC 26S. Safer than any other method and you are not working under a suspended load or wood that could break or a jury rigged Rube-Goldberg mess.

Be sure to test the tongue length for center of gravity if you plan to disconnect from the two vehicle while you drop the swing keel.

This technique worked GREAT for me.