Chain to rope splicing ?

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
In my windlass i cannot jump the chain when i get to the joint between the chain and the rope with a splice thimbles, the only way is to splice the rope to the chain. Is that the only way ? How do you have your chain to rope joint ?

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I recall reading an article about splicing three strand nylon rode to anchor chain. I believe it is was in Practical Sailor but I'm not sure. On my boat, the nylon 3 strand is spliced directly to the chain with no thimble, swivel or other device. It was already done that way when I purchased the boat. If you have a capstan for the nylon rode you will still need to make the transition to the chain section of the anchor winch when your reach that point.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
iPractice a half dozen or so times. The tighter you can make it the better it will go through.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
A friend helped me splice the rope to chain (100' rope and 100'chain), no thimbles, just as the original rode was setup. It runs through the bow roller very nicely.

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
My chain is attached to the rope with a splice and no thimble, i think that with time will be unsafe, what do you think ?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
My chain is attached to the rope with a splice and no thimble, i think that with time will be unsafe, what do you think ?
Given enough time, everything falls apart.
How much chain do you have? Do you regularly put out scope past the splice?

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
marlinspike seamanship, is really very easy. simple. fun.
a rope to chain splice will chafe in time. more quickly than if it had a thimble. but will be serviceable for many anchorings. just keep an eye out for chafing. when you see a need just cut off a foot of the rope and re splice in 5 to 10 minutes.

so, if you do not know how to spice. get say five feet of 5/8 manila rope, it will be easier for the newbee to learn on. and watch a vidio or open a book and practice will watching a bad movie, grand kids soccer game. splice a loop in then take it out 10 times. then do a back splice ten times. then try a long spice ten times. easy peezy :)

if you cannot spice you are not allowed to tell anybody you are a sailor much less a captain. that's right i said it.

fun fact: you can tie a bowline with steel cable and it will hold

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I believe what you saw in Practical Sailor is something Brian Toss calls the Irony Splice. it is a 2-strand splice, related to the long splice, that is full strength and feeds through a windlass much better than the 3-strand backsplice that is generally recommended.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/is...port-30-Amp-vs-50-Amp-Shorepower_12231-1.html

Rope to chain splices have proven quite safe. That said, you should probably cut out the last link and re-do the splice every 5-7 years. The last link will rust because it is kept wet.

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
In my last sailing boat i had a 150 feet of two size chain join togheter, buy my windlass was an exposed one so i could very easy jump the thimble of chain to rope. I really like my 41 hunter, she is very fast and easy to sail, no booms over the deck, the genoa will not reach the front of the mast, very easy to tack, but the more i know the boat the more a think they have cut a lot of corners in the building. All the winches and pulleys look very small compared to my last 33 foot Freedom.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
While the warp splice has served our boat well over the years, I decided to go back to a thimble and shackle connection for a change. Our windlass has both the gypsy for the chain and drum for the rope so the anchor retrieval process works quite well. I'll let you know next month after spending some time with the new system while on the water during spring break. Quite easy to change back.

Mar 26, 2011
While the warp splice has served our boat well over the years, I decided to go back to a thimble and shackle connection for a change. Our windlass has both the gypsy for the chain and drum for the rope so the anchor retrieval process works quite well. I'll let you know next month after spending some time with the new system while on the water during spring break. Quite easy to change back.
Why? Just curious.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Why? Just curious.
For some reason, whether it was the corrosion resistance quality of the chain at that point, or because it remained wet from sea water most of the time, that warp splice section was more severely corrosion degraded than the rest of the chain. Thought a thimble might work better, so will give it a go. Both work well through the windlass, just less hardware with a warp splice.

Mar 26, 2011
For some reason, whether it was the corrosion resistance quality of the chain at that point, or because it remained wet from sea water most of the time, that warp splice section was more severely corrosion degraded than the rest of the chain. Thought a thimble might work better, so will give it a go. Both work well through the windlass, just less hardware with a warp splice.
Yup, that is normal. You re-do the splice every 3-5 years, cutting off a few links at the same time. It is the trade-off for a smoother running splice, and you have judged the trade-off fairly. I always used a splice (back splice at first, then irony splice) when I had a windlass, and now I use a back splice just be cause it is smoother in the hands. I'll re-do it in 5 years, no sweat.