Registered users don't see ads

Chafe patches on mainsail - Hunter 356 / 36

Discussion in 'Big Boats' started by karellen, Dec 27, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. karellen

Joined Jan 5, 2017
    18 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 356
    US SF Bay / Delta Benicia
    I'm adding chafe patches to a new mainsail on my 356. I have measurements from the boom to the spreaders, but I'm not sure about how big to make the actual patches, as far as height and length. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

2. Rick D

Rick D

Joined Jun 14, 2008
    6,440 posts, 137 likes
    Hunter Legend 40.5
    US Long Beach, Shoreline Marina, CA
    My sail maker provided adhesive patches for me to apply after I had a good idea where the chafe would likely occur. After a couple of months, I could see where the sail was rubbing. I think the patches were about 7-8 inches.

3. SG

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    784 posts, 109 likes
    J/Boat J/160
    US Annapolis
    Usually you need to use rectangular patches with rounded coreners. It's best to actually locate the patches by seeing where you "rub". It varies depending on vang, out haul and (if you rig a) preventer.

I'd put a temp "sticker" where you think it the patch(es) should be, then move it around until you are sure. Then actually apply the patch in the right place. The patch, if re,over leaves a residue that can attract dirt.

Cabinet catch for many Hunters
Used on a variety of Hunters from the Legend-era to present. In stock!
Hunter faucets and parts
Replacement fixtures, hoses, sprayers, washers, and more.
Replacement in-deck solar panel
Improved for greater output, this is a drop-in replacement. Trim ring available, too.
Deck fill caps for most Hunter sailboats
In stock, these caps will fit most boats newer than 1990