Centerboard raising line

Oct 18, 2014
Hunter 24 Southampton
I have a Hunter 24. The line that is used to raise the center board is fraying and needs to be replaced. My boatyard doesn't know much about sailboats. How should I advise them on how to replace the line? Thanks

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
where are you located? In addition a website for the yard and a good email to the person in charge would be in order so I can communicate with him. I think you may be in England.

Oct 18, 2014
Hunter 24 Southampton
Center Board hoisting line

Thanks Dave for replying. Southampton is on the south fork of Long Island, New York, about 80 miles east of New York City. In one of your saved posts, there was a copy of the Hunter 24 owners manual. (I couldn't find the one I got with the boat) I was able to print a copy of the pages that showed how the line is set up, and I gave it to my marina. It LOOKS simple enough, but who knows until you try to replace it.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
When trying to remove that centerboard housing, always use a tracer line so you have one line running thru the pipe to attach the new line to. When removing, wiggle the centerboard back and forth while pulling down to help dislodge in order to slide it down. When reinstalling, that bracket has to slide up in the groves and make sure you do not cross thread the bolt. Also, make sure the two stainless pins stay in place on the bracket with a piece of duck tape. The current 260 manual shows a good drawing of the bracket which is the same for your boat shown under boat information/owners manual.

Aug 29, 2013
Hunter 240 Yamba
I have a H240 and replaced the line last year. A tip that really helps me was to get a piece of 3/4 inch threaded rod about 18 inches long. When you try to slide the keel bracket into place, the threaded rod will go up through the cabin section first and make sure that the bracket is in the right place and all aligned properly. With the keel now lined up properly and the bracket in place simply unscrew the threaded rod, and screw in the stainless bolt. I used a non- hardening sealant around the bolt and it all sealed fine, no leaks. You should be able to buy the threaded rod at your local hardware store. While the boat is on your trailer, take out the bolt, and take it along to the hardware to make sure you get the same thread. It was easy in Australia, so it should be much easier in the US. Also, make sure you replace the rope with the correct size. A Rope too large in diameter will bind in the pipe and housing. Good luck

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Cape Cod, Ma.
I have a Hunter 24. The line that is used to raise the center board is fraying and needs to be replaced. My boatyard doesn't know much about sailboats. How should I advise them on how to replace the line? Thanks
Here is a link to a pictorial on how to change the line on a H260 but the procedure is the same on the H240 and the H23.5 If you use boat stands be sure to chain them together which the author did not mention in his "step 1"
Also be sure to use the correct diameter uphaul line or it will bind and make lifting the board really difficult. Good luck.

http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/in...id=267&cat_id=20&aid=6224&page=article&mn=260

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
MIKE IS Exactly correct. the size of the line is 7/16 inch not 1/2. Make darn sure that all the stands are chained together the port to the starboard side stands.

Oct 18, 2014
Hunter 24 Southampton
You have all been great! I've copied all your comments and have given them to my boat yard. They are impressed. What a great site!!!

May 6, 2004
- - Potomac
Here is a link to a pictorial on how to change the line on a H260 but the procedure is the same on the H240 and the H23.5 If you use boat stands be sure to chain them together which the author did not mention in his "step 1"
Also be sure to use the correct diameter uphaul line or it will bind and make lifting the board really difficult. Good luck.

http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/in...id=267&cat_id=20&aid=6224&page=article&mn=260
This link brings me back to the SBO home page.

Folks, I've a 2004 H240 that needs a centerboard line and possibly hardware change out before its splashed. Is this something can be done on the trailer?

I'm in a yard that's not good with sailboats, but there's a former Hunter dealer up the road a couple miles. Should I try this myself or bring it to the pros? Appreciate any recommendations and @Crazy Dave Condon I'm sorry to bother you.

Thoughts?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Who was the dealer? Send me s private message with phone and I Will call Monday as I am moving my daughter an her family this weekend. Getting ready again to change out that line. May be fine on hardware but let’s talk. I will post back

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach

Can you check that link please? It's not working for me.

Oops, just noticed that was from 2014. The link probably died of old age.

Apr 14, 2018
Hunter 240 San Diego
Just bought a Hunter 240 and the centerboard got stuck on its maiden voyage. Upon inspection while on trailer, found a dead fish stuck up in the hinge joint. Maybe that was the problem. Will try again tomorrow. By the way, I will need to replace the centerboard line. Can this be done while on the trailer? Can you walk me through?

May 6, 2004
- - Potomac
Just bought a Hunter 240 and the centerboard got stuck on its maiden voyage. Upon inspection while on trailer, found a dead fish stuck up in the hinge joint. Maybe that was the problem. Will try again tomorrow. By the way, I will need to replace the centerboard line. Can this be done while on the trailer? Can you walk me through?
No, the boat needs to be four to five feet off the ground to do it.

@Crazy Dave Condon , thanks for the offer to help. I decided to just run the boat over to the former Hunter dealer and let them replace the line. They'll also inspect the hardware and swap it out if need be. It's a quick job once the boat is cradled.