Centerboard quick answer

Apr 25, 2015
Oday 26 Oscoda, MI
Can anybody tell me how much space there is from the top of the CB to the top of the CB channel when the CB is up?

I'm getting ready to mount my new aluminum channel which will house my new Harken Extreme Angle cleats and don't want to go to low into the channel and have any chance of the CB hitting my bolts when up nor do I want to go to high for structural support.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Which O'DAY model??

If you have a DS II, I do know that there is enough thickness to the CB "cap" that is part of the deck molding, plus hte actually CB trunk to drill and tap for screws (not sure of exact thickness though?) t omount camcleats to the top of hte CB trunk on newer model year boats as was factory original on 1971-74 models.

If you want to double-check, give Rudy Nickerson at D&R Marine a call (508) 644-3001, he was the Parts Dept Manager for O'DAY from 1973-89 and he was the person that told me about thickness of trunk top. I do know that there is about a 1/4" between the top of hte CB trunk in the hull and hte underside of the CB cap on my boat at a location about 1/3 of the length of the CB trunk measured from aft end, and CB cap is about 1/4" thick there (yas, I know, that is furhter aft on CB cap than you are asking about.... but still seemed worth noting?

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Due to the different CB control (DS I has lever, DS II has 2 lies/cables) your boat might be different, but I can push my CB up into the trunk about 1-2" above the bottom of the boat, indicating to me that there is room above the CB in the trunk.
I see that your DS I doesn't appear to have the fiberglass "cap" on top of the trunk like later boats did (and current CCSB-built boats do), so that complicates things a bit...... or MAYBE not? I might be tempted in that case to sand the area down to bare fiberglass and lay up a few added layers of thickness, then drill and tap for short machine screws into the sides of the trunk. Done right it will actually work OK. You could instead glass in a couple of metal plates one on each side to thread the screws into. I will have to defer to an experienced DS I owner for any better ideas. (I have over 20 years of DS II knowledge, but although familiar with the DS I, my knowledge is not complete) I'd suggest checking out the Forum on the Day Sailer Class Association web site, www.daysailer.org You do not have to be a DSA member to post on that forum, you will need to set up a (free) user name and password though. Also. check out the Day Sailer Class Facebook page (again, free sign-up) and ask what other DS I owners have done, there are a lot of DS I racers on those forums and they have some great ideas. (And more than a few, VERY high tech, go-fast mods.)