centerboard attachment

Jaul

May 30, 2018
Macgregor Venture 17 It is moored on its trailer
I am restoring a 1969 Macgregor venture. Am at a loss as to how to attach the winch cable to the centerboard. Is there a designated piece of hardware (The boat came with a funky, rusted bolt through the hole)?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You could bolt a short tang ...like the one on this Balboa keel.... but a long-ish shackle wide enough to bridge the width of the keel would also work
keel hang.jpg

Jaul

May 30, 2018
Macgregor Venture 17 It is moored on its trailer
Thanks for the quick response. Very helpful

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
My 1977 has a bolt that goes through a washer then the loop in the cable then a washer then through the keel another washer then nylock nut. It is hung on one side only. I inspect it every year and still looks new. I think that this also helps in quieting the keel from knocking around due to it being always cocked to one side with any up tension at all. Factory set up. The cable is on the side with the cut out(recessed angle) to allow for freedom of movement during raising and lowering. That also put a little side tension on the pivot bolt. I have never had knocking while under way. A lot of posts report that.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
A little point about the knocking. The keel is designed to fit loose in the keel trunk so do not add washers or spacers to make it fit snug. If you add spacers then when sailing all of the lateral resistance will be concentrated at the keel bolt hole junction. If the keel can flop then the stress is born at the points were the keel touches the inside of the trunk and the stress is spread out over the larger area of the keel trunk