Center board question?

bready

Mar 23, 2019
skimmer seagull Bign island pond derry, nh
When your boat is docked for a period of time is it better for the boat to have the center board raised or lowered? Thanks, Bernie

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When I was at a dock and folks were coming aboard or stepping off the boat, I lowered the center board to provide a little more stability.

Oct 22, 2014
That is because you get less growth on everything if it is up.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Up. There is almost always some slop in the CB trunk. If the board is up, it won't be bouncing around in the trunk causing wear. The boat will be a little more tippy when you step aboard, but that is a small price to pay versus repairing a damaged board or trunk.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Up. Banging and growth. Even though it is still in the water, there is less oxygen, no light, and lot of antifouling paint in a small volume.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
There are two schools of thought here. Yes raising the centerboard while up might be less banging around but should the centerboard be against the top of the centerboard housing, it might damage the top of the centerboard housing. Then should the line break depending on weight, it could come down crashing with severe damage or in some cases coming off with tears in the hull; thus the boat is sunk and I have repaired many over the years.

The other is to leave the keel down but would suggest shimming it just like I use to do with the Catalina 22 to prevent it from banging back and forth.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Well unless you exercise the centerboard periodically marine growth may block it from coming up or down. If the boat was going to be unattended for a while I would leave it down so if stuck it would be in a position to sail the boat.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Well unless you exercise the centerboard periodically marine growth may block it from coming up or down. If the boat was going to be unattended for a while I would leave it down so if stuck it would be in a position to sail the boat.
As this discussion shows, there are no easy answers. If the board is stuck down, it will be more difficult to put the boat on a trailer until it is unstuck. If it is stuck in the up position, at least gravity is there to help unstick it.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
As this discussion shows, there are no easy answers. If the board is stuck down, it will be more difficult to put the boat on a trailer until it is unstuck. If it is stuck in the up position, at least gravity is there to help unstick it.
"There are no easy answers! Yes, there is don't buy a boat with a Center Board that moves up and down.. However, I am working on another project that involves a telescopic mast that will allow boaters easy access under most bridges in addition to making stepping masts a breeze much like your car radio antenna that goes up and down. Press a button and save a mast... LOL

Oct 22, 2014
telescopic mast that will allow boaters easy access under most bridges
Now that sounds interesting.
I have heard around the docks that some folks have learned to wiggle their nose just so and the mast jumps off the boat onto the mast stand so they can work on the mast head with out climbing.

Let me know when you begin the kickstart program. Intrigued.

Oct 22, 2014
Now that sounds interesting.
I have heard around the docks that some folks have learned to wiggle their nose just so and the mast jumps off the boat onto the mast stand so they can work on the mast head with out climbing.

Let me know when you begin the kickstart program. Intrigued.
will do! what led me to this is the cost of damaging the mast during my voyages and dealing with waiting for them to raise the bridge on their times, not mine or even when you need. Can't tell ya how many bridges I've had to sit and wait hour's to go on my journey. Whether you need 2ft or 40ft the "The Easy Glide Mast " will have you on your way in minutes, not hours or having to wait till the only scheduled bridge opening times! In addition to this, the Easy Glide Mast allows "Easy Stepper" (option) allowing when you're done for the season or just ready to haul out for any reason. How many times have you "dreaded climbing your mast" to the masthead 30 to 60 feet high? First having the equipment than having the personnel or dreading will my rope hold ok, what if I fall or drop my tools and hit someone bellow, even could damage your boat leading to a lot of very costly expenses. The bottom line here is with my "The Easy Glide Mast " you bring the masthead to your comfort level need to do your work safely and economically. OK sound great, but I have Furlan(s). Not a problem press the button for fuller release and as the mast lowers so will the furling to allow Furlan to lay on deck if needed.
Yes, that's good but, I what about the spenders? Not a problem for the Easy Glide Mast! The breaking points are above and below your spreaders. Can I ride the mast back up to the top once I've completed my repairs? Yes, It will support even you at 600lbs max. However, You must take up with you the equipment to let yourself back down.
Enjoy Capt Rob It all started with my great grandfather's invention of the davit system
Davit.JPG

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
IT will be interesting if this telescoping mast works. IF it does, there will be maintenance for sure but possibly a gold mine. Make sure you get a patenent. Keep us abreast.

Oct 22, 2014
If it works he will be the "Otis Elevator guy" of sailing.
The good thing is with the new printers it cuts down the design time in half. I've installed one on my 1986 18-foot Precision sailboat and it worked like a charm. I remembered the day when I had to lower my mast to go under a train-bridge, the current was swift and my 5HP motor would just keep us still not forward and not backward. I had to make a choice throw the mast in the water go through and retrieve it afterward or unstep the mast and lay it on the deck. The unstep method was not working so over it went...LOL We just had 3 feet clearance above the vessel and the river was high and running faster as minutes past. I am sure that I was not the only one this has happened to! I'm sure.
On my new design, First I started out with the Star-Fold-Mast which allowed the mast to fold the first section to the spreader out horizontally allowing the furling to remain attached to the sail head But, that only gave you 6 to 12 feet clearance and anytime you deal with a hinge and latch its not as robust. So onward to the elevator idea.
best regards,
Capt. Rob

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
If you had a deck stepped mast, you could at least get an additional six feet of bridge clearance by replacing the compression post with an oversized tube. Then the mast could be retracted into the tube.
The mechanics of it might be complicated and prohibitively expensive , and the location of the boom gooseneck might be a problem when all of that gets to deck level.... and the list of disadvantages continues.