CDI Furler Question

Tom R

Jul 15, 2017
Hunter 25.5 Marlboro NY
I am in process of renovating my Hunter 25.5. I would like to take down the jib off the roller but it is not clear to me how to do it. As far as I can tell the jib halyard is not attached to the jib and I see these complicated knots attaching the sail by the PO. I don't think I could ever duplicate this and seems overly complicated. I have never done this sort of thing before.

Any thoughts?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Any thoughts?
Have you read the manual?
It will explain the use of a messenger line tied to the halyard's end if you don't drop the mast for this operation.
Those "complicated" knots appear to be at the tack.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
That's a CDI indeed. Get the manual and familiarize yourself with it. @justsomeguy is absolutely right, with one more bit of data; that's likely the storage place for the messenger line.

Aug 1, 2011
That's sort of how we used to deal with the excess. Not quite as artistic though.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Manual for the CDI FF2 is posted under the Hunter 26/260 downloads under boat information as of two weeks ago. Please review that and if you have any questions after reviewing that, get back with us. However, there is an internal jib halyard within the furler groove. First untie the down haul line on the furling drum. You will need to untie the internal halyard line on the furling drum and add a messenger line to it so when the sail comes down you will be able to pull it back up.

Tom R

Jul 15, 2017
Hunter 25.5 Marlboro NY
Manual for the CDI FF2 is posted under the Hunter 26/260 downloads under boat information as of two weeks ago. Please review that and if you have any questions after reviewing that, get back with us. However, there is an internal jib halyard within the furler groove. First untie the down haul line on the furling drum. You will need to untie the internal halyard line on the furling drum and add a messenger line to it so when the sail comes down you will be able to pull it back up.
Thank-you. I have read the manual and wasn't completely clear to me which why I posted here. I have no familiarity with this except for the manual and what I see in front of me, and it seems there is an opportunity to screw this up if not done properly the first time.

The first picture as someone pointed out is just excess line tied off at the luff - "complicated" by PO but can be done more simply. The second picture is the halyard line tied off. Taking it down, it seems I need to attach a messenger line to it, so as not to lose it and be able to replace the jib. I am taking it down for repair and to add a protective covering.

I am planning on doing this myself and I am disabled - I have difficulty walking so I want to make sure I get it done right the first time. Thank you for your input.

Tom

Feb 20, 2011
I am planning on doing this myself and I am disabled - I have difficulty walking so I want to make sure I get it done right the first time. Thank you for your input.
Unfurl the sail, tie a good knot (secure and easily untied) between the messenger and the halyard, untie the tack and haul down on the sail's luff.
On a calm day, of course. ;)

P.S.- There are Youtube-like videos out there, too.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
Thank-you. I have read the manual and wasn't completely clear to me which why I posted here. I have no familiarity with this except for the manual and what I see in front of me, and it seems there is an opportunity to screw this up if not done properly the first time.

The first picture as someone pointed out is just excess line tied off at the luff - "complicated" by PO but can be done more simply. The second picture is the halyard line tied off. Taking it down, it seems I need to attach a messenger line to it, so as not to lose it and be able to replace the jib. I am taking it down for repair and to add a protective covering.

Tom
Yuo have it correct

Tom R

Jul 15, 2017
Hunter 25.5 Marlboro NY
Unfurl the sail, tie a good knot (secure and easily untied) between the messenger and the halyard, untie the tack and haul down on the sail's luff.
On a calm day, of course. ;)

P.S.- There are Youtube-like videos out there, too.

Update:

All done - sail in the box - ready for repair, cleaning and adding sunbrella to it. Everything went pretty well - I did run out of messenger line and had to add another line but the guy in the boat next mine held the line for me why I got additional line.

Tom

Aug 1, 2011
And here's a little known trick, there's only plastic at the top where the line does a 180, so if you put some dish soap on the line, it will not only lubricate it and prevent the plastic from melting, it will smell lemony fresh.
You want to use something that won't stain the sail, so don't even begin to consider wd40 or anything industrial.

Feb 20, 2011
you put some dish soap on the line, it will not only lubricate it and prevent the plastic from melting, it will smell lemony fresh.
Bloody good idea! I've always dealt with that friction with the mast up, so preferred to drop it when bending the sail on or off.

Aug 1, 2011
Yeah, the first time it started to melt, we did what everybody else did, pulled harder. When I pulled the cap off, 2/3 of the thing was gone.
Dish soap will clean out the spider goo and is a great non staining lube.