Catalina's Missing from West Coast Boat Shows

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina 350 Seattle
So I'm wondering what the future holds for Catalina. I've missed the last three years boat shows in Seattle, but for the few years prior, there's been scant representation from Catalina, usually the same unsold 355. This year, the show begins next weekend and there appear to be no Catalina's scheduled to appear.

Last four years, I've been able to attend the much smaller Sunroad show in SanDiego where for the prior three years they had a fair selection representative of Catalina's line.
This year, nada. None. Plenty of Jeaneau, Beneteau, a few Hanse, but no Catalina's.

And I can't remember the last time I saw an ad for Catalina in any sailing publication.

Is the end near?

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I suspect the transportation costs are making them a regional builder. They had plenty of boats in Annapolis. They just released a new model (425) in the fall. Struggling, but managing.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
Catalina has three boats at Toronto Boat Show right now.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
They all seemed new...there were Catalina 425, 315 and little 14.2 (I think that what it was, not 100% positive).

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
There were only 9 boats at the Toronto Show. Catalina, Jenneau, Beneteau, Hanse, and Delphi. Hunter was a no show.
If you were going to look at sailboats you'd be finished in a 1/2 hour. When we went on Friday there was hardly anybody at the sail boat exhibits, didn't have to wait to board each of the boats. Pontoon boats are the big item now.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
I follow Catalina on Facebook. They are hiring at the factory in Florida due to orders for the new 425. I think they are doing pretty well with the new models. Would love a 425 myself but.....

https://www.facebook.com/catalinayachts/

My understanding is Catalina has never really bought much ad space.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2009
American Sail 18 American Sail 18 Everywhere
Pateco said: "Looks like both Catalina and Hunter are missing from the Miami Show
2017 Strictly Sail Miami - Boats By Brands"

Not many sailboat sold in So Florida. Everybody is in a hurry. No point in spending money to just display boats. The sailboats around the area are all old sailboats. Most newer sailboats are in Tampa Bay. Most sailboat mfgrs have a factory or presence there. I believe a Catalina dealer did display in Tampa boat show which is pretty small. I purchased one there.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Pateco said: "Looks like both Catalina and Hunter are missing from the Miami Show
2017 Strictly Sail Miami - Boats By Brands"

Not many sailboat sold in So Florida. Everybody is in a hurry. No point in spending money to just display boats. The sailboats around the area are all old sailboats. Most newer sailboats are in Tampa Bay. Most sailboat mfgrs have a factory or presence there. I believe a Catalina dealer did display in Tampa boat show which is pretty small. I purchased one there.
I was wrong, Catalina is there with 2-3 boats. but no Hunter. Marlow Hunter was there last year.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Interesting. Catalina had a very strong showing at the Annapolis Sailboat Show in October. They had an entire dock with most of their production models. The 425 (I think that's what it was) was very nice.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
The Annapolis show is the premiere sail show for the whole east coast and midwest. Miami is catamaran country. Ft Lauderdale show had 1500 boats, about 5 were sail. They pick their battles carefully, its expensive to exhibit.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I thought Hunter had a boat or two up at Lake Union - the only Sailboats on the floor were a 35&40 Benne and a small J boat.

BTW - the wife really liked the Dufors 46 - now how can I swing the financing??? (not).