Catalina Smile

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Hudson

I recently purchased a 1981 Catalina 30. The survey indicated no problems with the keel to hull bond and when the boat was lifted from the water last week everything was in great condition. We parked the boat in its cradle with the keel supported and everything still looked great. This week I was checking the hull for blisters (none found) and found a foot long horizontal crack opening up at the bow of the boat. It is definitly a new crack because the bottom coat is fracturing off as the crack opens up. I have heard of the "Catalilna smile" before but I didn't think that it would appear while parked in the cradle. What is the best repair proceedure for this condition? Is this a serious problem or just a minor anoyance? Jim

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Catalina Smile (again)

Jim try the link to the forum archives below. Also, try using the Association website (www.catalina30.com) and search there, too. Stu

Feb 9, 2004
- - -
Smile, be happy

Hi Jim - As Stu mentioned, there has been a lot of discussion about the cracking at the leading edge of the keel where it attaches to the hull. On my C36, I simply ground out the area, filled with Evercoat, faired and painted with the rest of the bottom. When I hauled the boat two years later there was no sign of the "smile". In any case, I fixed the original cracking area to make me feel better, although I don't believe it's structural. Best, Trevor

Status
Not open for further replies.