Registered users don't see ads

Catalina pole-based table?

Discussion in 'Ask A Catalina Owner' started by DaveNC, May 10, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

Tags:
  1. DaveNC

DaveNC

Joined Mar 20, 2018
    12 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina Capri 26
    266 US Oriental, NC
    Anyone have experience with the Catalina table that is built on the pile and slides up and down? We just bought a Capri 26 and the table is very difficult to loosen and slide up as a table or down for sleeping. It is very heavy and takes two people to lift, and it is a real challenge to get under to unlock or lock it.

Anyone have advice or perhaps ours is missing something.

Thanks

2. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    1,518 posts, 473 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA
    Post a picture of the mechanism - Catalina uses the same parts on many boats with a picture someone without specific knowledge of your Capri might be able to answer

Les

3. Franklin

Franklin

Joined Jul 20, 2005
    2,383 posts, 101 likes
    Hunter 376
    US Kemah, Tx
    My Hunter has the same type of table. Inside the compression post is a weight attached to a rope which goes through a block and then tied to the table. This weight counters the weight of the table. Maybe your boat is missing the rope or weight?

4. Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Joined Feb 26, 2004
    19,808 posts, 503 likes
    Catalina 34
    US Maple Bay, BC, Canada
    Does it look like this?

IMG_20171013_135513 (Medium).jpg

This is with the table off. To use it, I've found I have to push down EXACTLY in the middle. Never had any issue of it popping back up with a little persuasion, also in the middle.

I'm not sure these have blocks, but rather are spring loaded.

5. Franklin

Franklin

Joined Jul 20, 2005
    2,383 posts, 101 likes
    Hunter 376
    US Kemah, Tx
    ah yeah, that is different than mine. Sorry. Ignore my post.

6. DaveNC

DaveNC

Joined Mar 20, 2018
    12 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina Capri 26
    266 US Oriental, NC
    I'm going to the boat tomorrow and I will post a picture after that. Thanks

7. peterbud

peterbud

Joined May 7, 2006
    211 posts, 7 likes
    Catalina 28 Mark 1
    US New Bern
    Dave they are all hard I had the same problem with mine, hull # 172, you need to make sure the screw under table is loose. I have the same problem now on my Catalina 28 if I want to lower it. If you ever come up the Neuse from Oriental I am in FAIRFIELD harbor

8. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    1,518 posts, 473 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA
    Dave the strut inside these columns is held in the center of the column by a thin plastic piece that breaks easily as they age. If this plastic is broken it will be almost impossible to collapse the table for making into a bed. As @Stu Jackson said you need to push in the center. Mine is broken this way, when I get a 3D printer I’m going to print a replacement.

Les

9. DaveNC

DaveNC

Joined Mar 20, 2018
    12 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina Capri 26
    266 US Oriental, NC
    I don't see any place where an internal counter weight wire would have connected to this table. It appears to be simply built around the pole and held up with a screw mechanism. The table is so heavy and the screw is under it, so it takes two people to raise or lower the darn thing. Anyone have a Capri 26? Is it the same?

10. DaveNC

DaveNC

Joined Mar 20, 2018
    12 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina Capri 26
    266 US Oriental, NC
    I don't see any place where an internal counter weight wire would have connected to this table. It appears to be simply built around the pole and held up with a screw mechanism. The table is so heavy and the screw is under it, so it takes two people to raise or lower the darn thing. The pole likely supports the weight of the mast and goes from below the sole to the cabin top.
    Anyone have a Capri 26? Is it the same?

11. DaveNC

DaveNC

Joined Mar 20, 2018
    12 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina Capri 26
    266 US Oriental, NC
    I don't see any place where an internal counter weight wire would have connected to this table. It appears to be simply built around the pole and held up with a screw mechanism. The table is so heavy and the screw is under it, so it takes two people to raise or lower the darn thing. The pole likely supports the weight of the mast and goes from below the sole to the cabin top.
    Anyone with this same boat?

12. DaveNC

DaveNC

Joined Mar 20, 2018
    12 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina Capri 26
    266 US Oriental, NC
    I uploaded the picture from the brochure.
    Anyone with this same boat?

Attached Files:

13. peterbud

peterbud

Joined May 7, 2006
    211 posts, 7 likes
    Catalina 28 Mark 1
    US New Bern
    Dave there is no counter weight it is only the collar with the screw under table to hold it in place. It is heavy to lift.
    peterbud

14. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    1,518 posts, 473 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA
    There should be a strut in there like what holds up hatchback lids. I had mine apart 2 months ago.

Les

15. DaveNC

DaveNC

Joined Mar 20, 2018
    12 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina Capri 26
    266 US Oriental, NC
    PeterBud,

That confirms what I see. Nothing that assists lifting. It's not the best design. Thanks

16. peterbud

peterbud

Joined May 7, 2006
    211 posts, 7 likes
    Catalina 28 Mark 1
    US New Bern
    Les there is a strut to hold up the sides of the table, but we are talking about raiing and lowering the whole table

17. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    1,518 posts, 473 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA
    my column has a strut inside of it to assist in raising and lowering - looks like a shock absorber.

Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates