Catalina pole-based table?

DaveNC

Mar 20, 2018
Catalina Capri 26 266 Oriental, NC
Anyone have experience with the Catalina table that is built on the pile and slides up and down? We just bought a Capri 26 and the table is very difficult to loosen and slide up as a table or down for sleeping. It is very heavy and takes two people to lift, and it is a real challenge to get under to unlock or lock it.

Anyone have advice or perhaps ours is missing something.

Thanks

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Post a picture of the mechanism - Catalina uses the same parts on many boats with a picture someone without specific knowledge of your Capri might be able to answer

Les

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
My Hunter has the same type of table. Inside the compression post is a weight attached to a rope which goes through a block and then tied to the table. This weight counters the weight of the table. Maybe your boat is missing the rope or weight?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Does it look like this?

IMG_20171013_135513 (Medium).jpg

This is with the table off. To use it, I've found I have to push down EXACTLY in the middle. Never had any issue of it popping back up with a little persuasion, also in the middle.

I'm not sure these have blocks, but rather are spring loaded.

DaveNC

Mar 20, 2018
I'm going to the boat tomorrow and I will post a picture after that. Thanks

May 7, 2006
Catalina 28 Mark 1 New Bern
Dave they are all hard I had the same problem with mine, hull # 172, you need to make sure the screw under table is loose. I have the same problem now on my Catalina 28 if I want to lower it. If you ever come up the Neuse from Oriental I am in FAIRFIELD harbor

May 20, 2016
Dave the strut inside these columns is held in the center of the column by a thin plastic piece that breaks easily as they age. If this plastic is broken it will be almost impossible to collapse the table for making into a bed. As @Stu Jackson said you need to push in the center. Mine is broken this way, when I get a 3D printer I’m going to print a replacement.

Les

DaveNC

Mar 20, 2018
I don't see any place where an internal counter weight wire would have connected to this table. It appears to be simply built around the pole and held up with a screw mechanism. The table is so heavy and the screw is under it, so it takes two people to raise or lower the darn thing. Anyone have a Capri 26? Is it the same?

DaveNC

Mar 20, 2018
I don't see any place where an internal counter weight wire would have connected to this table. It appears to be simply built around the pole and held up with a screw mechanism. The table is so heavy and the screw is under it, so it takes two people to raise or lower the darn thing. The pole likely supports the weight of the mast and goes from below the sole to the cabin top.
Anyone have a Capri 26? Is it the same?

DaveNC

Mar 20, 2018
I don't see any place where an internal counter weight wire would have connected to this table. It appears to be simply built around the pole and held up with a screw mechanism. The table is so heavy and the screw is under it, so it takes two people to raise or lower the darn thing. The pole likely supports the weight of the mast and goes from below the sole to the cabin top.
Anyone with this same boat?

DaveNC

Mar 20, 2018
I uploaded the picture from the brochure.
Anyone with this same boat?

Attachments

May 7, 2006
Dave there is no counter weight it is only the collar with the screw under table to hold it in place. It is heavy to lift.
peterbud

May 20, 2016
There should be a strut in there like what holds up hatchback lids. I had mine apart 2 months ago.

Les

DaveNC

Mar 20, 2018
PeterBud,

That confirms what I see. Nothing that assists lifting. It's not the best design. Thanks

May 7, 2006
There should be a strut in there like what holds up hatchback lids. I had mine apart 2 months ago.

Les
Les there is a strut to hold up the sides of the table, but we are talking about raiing and lowering the whole table

May 20, 2016
my column has a strut inside of it to assist in raising and lowering - looks like a shock absorber.