Catalina Capri 26 Owners please contact me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 22, 2009
Catalina Capri 26 Lake Mead
I have had my Capri 26 for about a year. She is a great Boat. I am wanting to connect with other CP-26 owners to see what kind of Sails, rigging and engine setups you have. I am looking for ideas on squeezing every last inch of speed out of her. As well as hear about your sailing experiences.

She is a 1992 Hull#246 with the M2-12 11hp inboard. I have a new 145% headsail (furling) an asymetrical spinny, and A new, Rolly Tasker Mainsail. I am interseted in a furling drifter sail, and A folding prop.

Anyone out there using a folding prop?

Russ M
Las Vegas NV

SPLETS

Oct 8, 2008
Beneteau 46 Long Beach, CA
I have a Capri 26 in AZ and this is my second one. You can email me back with you private email address and I will give you my phone number.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina Capri 26 Carter Lake
I have a 1994 Capri 26 I purchased new. I have a folding Martec prop that has been on the boat for about 13 years. I have done a bunch of modifications on it over the years to get more speed out of the boat. New sails and Harken roller furling did the most for it. I have a headsail that is mylar and is 155% without a suncover. Standing the mast forward and adding a split backstay helped. Increasing the purchase on the traveler and the outhaul made adjustments easier. All lines lead to the cockpit. Contact me if you wnt anyother information.

Mike G

jpapa

Jun 27, 2009
2 Capri 26 Lake Simcoe
Hi Mike.
I have a 92 C26 and I was thinking of adding a split backstay, or a backstay tension.
Can you shed some light as to how went about doing split backstay.
thxs
Jim

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
'92 outboard

Folding prop: I have an outboard with a 10" 4 blade. Tilting the engine up and down during sailing in 10 knots of wind, I have consistently measured a .3 knot difference in water speed.

Weight and balance are a major factor. (More difficult to balance with outboard).

A single reef is the end-all-beat-all way to curb weather helm in 15+ knot wind, while retaining speed.

Sails to hull speed (6.5k) in 12 knots of wind with factory sails (130 jib).

Beats nearly every boat on the water, aside from the racers.

Here is an actual email quote from the designer, Gerry Douglas:

"I sailed the Capri 25's loved the performance but wanted better accomodations.
(regarding speed) Kept the wetted surface to a minimum with fairly round bilges and kept the boat simple, which means light.
The Capri 26 was a fairly low production boat for us, but the owners are very enthusiastic about the boat. She has good accomodations, a great cockpit, performs well and is very easy to maintain because of the simple systems and rigging. The Capri 26 is a very sturdy vessel and with the right safety gear think she is capable of taking you anywhere you would want to go.
If you have a fin keel you may want to consider a bigger rudder."

-end quote

Status
Not open for further replies.